[ Chapter 72 : Outsider ]

Y/n's pov.   

" Awake " I pluck the flower petal then toss it out the window.

" Not awake " I pluck another petal.

" Awake "

" Not awake "

" Awake "

" Not awake "

" Awake " I pluck the last petal and sigh.

" If only that were true " I toss the stem out the window before looking back down at my drawing book.

It's a drawing of mom and Derek, it's like my drawing of Laurence and I last time, where our foreheads are together and smiling but instead it's them and instead of mom's pale face, I draw her younger self from the portrait in the other house and Derek's younger self that I saw a portrait of him. Making sure every detail counts from my memory and what I remember. I'm just in the school east hallway since there's a lot of students hanging around here and I'm by the window bench.

" You miss your mom? " I look over my shoulder to the familiar voice and see Paige standing there.

I sigh and turn away.

" Yeah, there's no news yet " I said and continue to draw.

I see her sitting down in front of me since I'm sitting sideways from the open window, my back against the wall, the breeze coming in because it's pretty hot today.

" So what gave you the courage to talk to me today? " I asked.

" Ow " she said casually.

I look up at her in confusion.

" Now I know what it feels to be talked like that " she said, I snicker.

" It was a joke " I said, she shrugs then sit there with her hands on her lap.

" Did you and Heidi fight or something? " I asked.

" No, she's in herbal class, I'm just waiting on her and you happen to be here " she said.

I look to my left where the herbal class is just in front of us and a teacher inside teaching them, I see Heidi sitting at the middle row and Laurence at the back row, I'm waiting for him too.

" Did you at least bring anything to keep yourself entertained?, Her class is going to be in another few minutes " I turn back to her.

" Don't tell me your planning on sitting there in silence "

She then lift up a book with a brown leather cover with a golden thread on the title.

" Brought a handy-dandy book, but then I saw you so I thought we'd talked because it's been a while " she said.

" I can't trust you " I said, she chuckles and nod.

" As I predicted, sorry " she said then sit up straight as she opens the book to the page she marked.

We sit here in silence only students passing by and fairies, I see her reading intently and I sit here with my drawing book. Now I sound like the bad guy, I should maybe be a little more considerate, she's new to this I guess.

" I'm sorry about your mom " I said.

I then see her hand flinches slightly then lift her head lightly as her eyes look up in front of her.

" I'm sorry about your mother too " she said then look down at the page.

I close my book and set it aside me as I hug my legs.

" We can talk if you want " I said.

She lowers her book and sigh.

" I don't know how " she said, I furrow my eyebrows in confusion.