6- Contract

GARNET

I couldn't believe I got the job. I.. Actually got the job!

This feels so surreal, I lost hopes of moving Erica with me for the next few years but it felt like the Heavens were on my side and he didn't hold any personal grudge against me.

Mr Layne showed he was truly a gentleman, he was a professional. He didn't make assumptions based upon prejudice.

I had begun to admire him, he was such an embodiment of professionalism. I tried as hard as I could, of course he could be rude sometimes but overall he was good.

With my pay, it was only a matter of months. I was exuberant, I'll be signing a contract today with him.

I went to Mr Layne's office. I knocked as his deep voice came.

"Come in." I entered and smiled faintly, he was leaning on his table, arms closed at his chest. I walked to him.

He held the contract papers in his hand as he began to say, "Congratulations, Ms Beth. All that remains to make you our official employer is this paper. Read it thoroughly and then sign it."

"Okay, Sir. Thank you." I nodded, speaking sincerely as he handed me the paper. I turned to leave but then stopped in my tracks.

"Can I ask you something, Sir?" I asked.

"What is it?" I then turned to him as I took a glance at the papers and began to ask, "Does every employer sign a contract?"

My words shocked him a bit, his eyes widened for a second but before I could comprehend it, his posture came back as his lips slightly curved upwards.

"What do you think?" He asked.

He took a step toward me, hands in the pocket of his trousers. A smirk crept upon his lips, my heart picked its pace as my heart skipped a beat at his sly expressions.

I could never deny, he was undeniably handsome.

"I-I.." I involuntarily took a step back, hugging the papers close to my chest when he was before me.

Looking at him intently to say something. I hope everything is alright.

"D-Did I ask something wrong, Sir?" I asked vaguely.

His eyes glistened with something lethal as he walked behind me. I felt tense under that piercing gaze, with my heart thumping against my chest.

"Garnet Beth." He called my name, it's the most charming and husky voice I have ever heard in my life.

So seductive... I thought.

I hesitantly turned to him and raised my gaze to meet him. It was so different, not intimate, not his usual arrogant one but rather something... Wicked.

"Y-Yes, Sir?" I managed to stammer under his intense gaze. I took a step back, still not breaking our stare.

After a minute of deadly silence Mr Layne began to say, "What happened, Ms Beth? Why are you startled?"

I quickly broke the stare and tugged a strand of my hair behind my ear nervously as I stuttered, "N-Nothing."

"You sure?... You seemed frightened. Did I make you uncomfortable?" He asked in a malicious tone while taking a step towards me.

"What? No. I am fine. I was just curious, that is all." I tried to speak firmly but failed.

"Well, Every important employer signs a contract." He shrugged nonchalantly.

"Everyone is important." I replied quickly to his derisive words.

"You have your answer." He said in his usual voice finally and I relaxed a little.

"I see..." I exhaled deeply and passed him a faint smile and was about to leave but his voice came, stopping me.

"I am looking forward to working with you, Garnet Beth." He said. Whenever my full name escaped his thick lips, I could feel a strange tingle in my body.

However, I controlled myself. Taking a deep breath, I turned as I gave him a confident look, affirming his statement, "Thank you very much, Sir. I can assure you that you will not regret it."

"I know." He spoke in a barely audible tone but I heard it, considering it irrelevant, I just left for my cabin.

I sat down, checking our contract and began to read the prominent points of our contract.

*Employees cannot change jobs as long as the contract is valid.

*Employees will have to obey every order given by Mr Roy Layne.

*Sharing of any personal information with any employee is prohibited.

*Every conversation between the Employee and Employer is strictly confidential.

My hands were cold, I kept reading these points as this was like a non-disclosure agreement, he was restricting me as I hadn't seen anyone here doing what was mentioned in the contract. I was not allowed to change jobs for the next three years too.

One Million compensation for termination!?

"How am I supposed to get this much money?"

It's not that I am complaining about changing jobs or sharing confidential information but... still an uneasiness lingered in my heart.

I didn't know, or maybe I was never an assistant of someone as big as him.

About that personal information about me, what the hell did he mean by it? I wanted to console myself, I wanted to think about something optimistic but no thoughts came to my mind. 

I had a bad feeling about it. 

I slammed the papers on the table. It was just somehow frustrating. I just didn't know what I should do, I can never get a job like this again. I need this job.

I breathed out heavily and stood up, took some files he wanted me to check. I went to Mr Layne's cabin.