12- Order

It's been a month since I have been working here. Everything is going pretty well except for Mr Layne's constant mocks about my personal life and intentionally pissing me off.

Apart from his captivating gazes preying upon me for unknown reasons, I had no complaints from him as during work, nothing else matters to him thankfully.

For someone who refused to work in coordination with his Father and was determined to break his father's empire, he poured all his efforts for that.

"Finish this file here." He said handing me the file without looking up, engrossed in his world as if nothing else existed.

"Yes, Sir." I nodded and sat on the sofa and began to read it but a voice came, breaking his rhythm, pissing him off immensely.

"Roy~" A voice cooed in the room. I looked up and saw Patricia, another famous model of our campaign coming inside after knocking.

"I am busy, Patricia. Come by later." He said monotonously, without looking at her, not paying attention to her at the moment.

"Why? Come on, how long will you work?" She frowned, coming closer.

"We can hangout after work, do not disturb me during my work. Please?" He spoke calmly again, prioritizing his work.

"How about no?" She giggled, leaning against the table which caused his jaw to clench, he was pissed but exhaling his fury, he brought his notorious pseudo smile.

"Can you not fulfill my meager request when I am willing to do anything later only for you, Sweetheart?" He asked as sweetly as possible, smiling affectionately at her.

And somehow I want to praise his communication flairs but his habits of intimidation and mockery in my case restricted me. He was gallant to everyone except me.

"Please, Roy." She almost pleaded with him and walked behind him, putting a hand over his shoulder. Mr Layne sighed and put his file down.

He continued his forced smile but it was so charming that no one could guess that it's fake. I could tell because I had been working with him for a while now, I know he hated distractions at work.

He turned to her and held her hands.

"Look, Patricia, We can do whatever you want after work until then, can you wait, Honey? You can have my every second after work, I will be at your side before you know it, okay?" He asked in such a persuasive way that my eyes went wide for a second.

Once again, his manipulation skills are immaculate!

Place bet, he would say nuisance after she would leave because that was what he told to any girl who came to his office- even his girlfriend.

"Please understand that." He said softly, rubbing her hand lovingly. She nodded timidly and smiled, "Okay. I'll see you after work. Don't work too hard, okay."

"Okay." He chuckled, nodded and kissed her hand and she left.

The moment she left, his smile vanished instantly, rolling his eyes off.

And said the word- "Nuisance."

He muttered and continued his work for a while. I quickly finished my file as well and handed it to Mr Layne and turned to leave after completing my work for today and go home.

"Wait, Ms Beth." He called, finishing his work as well, closing his file. I stopped in my tracks and turned to him.

"Yes, Sir?" I smiled, waiting for him to continue.

"I want you to accompany me to a black tie event this Saturday." He ordered, tone monotonous.

"But Sir, I don't think I am worthy and besides, you have a girlfriend," I replied, giving a logical reasoning, not wanting to go there and give rise to another rumor.

The notorious smirk crept upon his lips which evoked a contraction of shiver from me when his eyes observed me from top to bottom.

My throat dried when he stood up slowly and walked towards me, resting his hand in his pockets when his assertive form was before me.

His piercing gaze gave me strange sensations, intimidated whenever he stare dead into my soul.

"You are 'very' worthy, more than Hailey." He said in a low voice, placing me above his girlfriend. My heart picked its pace, widening my eyes with an unwanted thrill.

"Sir, I-I have my day off on S-Saturday, I can't come." I reasoned and smiled nervously but my refusal was to his disliking.

"It's an order, Ms Beth." He said unbuttoning his coat and loosening his tie which made him look so fascinating that I felt a blush crept upon my cheeks. A rapid breath escaped my lips, I swallowed the lump in my throat to remain stoic which was very difficult.

"Sir, I can't-"

"Disobedience was never a choice for you Ms Beth. You 'will' obey my every order." He enunciated. I shuddered upon hearing his words, an instant weakness surging in my legs.

"In the boundaries of work." I corrected him. My lips began to quiver, my hands and feet turned cold, I was fearing to explore the atrocity behind this enthralling blue gaze.

"Exactly, it is an event for our success and future. You should be grateful that I have chosen you as my partner." He mocked, smirking darkly at me and the idea of it sounded displeasing.

"And even if you refuse I will still take you." He said in a deep hoarse voice. A soft voice of astonishment escaped my lips, I clutched the hem of my dress tightly, I wouldn't allow it.

"Sir, I-"

"You are not provided with alternatives unless I give you one."

My energy drained from me by his minatory seriousness, demanding obedience from me.

"Sir, I apologize but even if it was for work, I cannot go. Please understand, people will talk behind your back, they will make ridiculous assumptions."

Besides, I have no intentions of being caught with a casanova and get a label of his 'side-chick'

Upon hearing it, he lowered his head and let out a low vehement laugh considering my words frivolous.

"Sir...?" My heart skipped a beat as shivers were invoked in my petite form. He didn't fear anyone. My capabilities were shaken in fear of what he was planning.

"Refusal is not advisable, Ms Beth. It's a plain order, you don't have to be vexed about anything else." He took a step dangerously close to me.

"Fine." I mumbled under my breath, if he didn't care then let it be. Why would I care about his image then?

Exhaling, I shook my head and turned to leave so I could go back to my cabin and think how to deal with this tribulation of black tie event now.