16- Not Him

And then he pulled away, I quickly stumbled back. Ultimately terrified of what I just heard, my heart dropped its beat. Unnerve stirred my mind along with adrenaline rushing in my veins.

Please no... I thought, covering my mouth, trying to control my posture, on the verge of breaking.

"Garnet." I gasped when my back hit a hard chest. Losing my breath, I looked back only to see Mr Layne looking down at me with bewilderment.

"What happened?" He asked tenderly, coming closer. I took a step back and averted my gaze, failing badly to form a nonchalant frontage.

"Are you crying?" He asked again but I remained silent, biting the inside of my cheek. Mr Layne looked in the other direction, at Lucian.

I nibbled on my bottom lips and whispered, "Please take me home. Please."

He looked at me for about a minute in compassion and curiosity. I forced the lump in my throat to contain my emotions.

"Please, I am not well." Convulsing in dread, I couldn't stand his presence anymore.

"What did Lucien talk to you about? What did he tell you to make you scared?" He asked sternly, looking in the other direction for a moment before placing all his attention on me.

"Nothing." I quickly said, shivering.

He took a step towards me, I took a step back.

"I warned you to stay away from him. Didn't I?" He asked, tone softening, probably in compassion.

Before I could register what happened, He held my waist and pulled me close, "No, please." I gasped inaudibly, involuntarily holding his shirt.

"M-Mr Layne..." I called him hesitantly.

"I know my Brother more than anyone." He moved painfully slower towards me to the point my body pressed against his, leading my breath to become heavy.

"He is dangerous if he is smiling but if he is not then he is a monster. And he was not smiling with you." He growled but it was not directed to me. He was enraged because... I became his brother's victim?

His hot minty breath lingered on my face, releasing a shiver down my spine, "What did he say to make you cry?" He demanded an answer I couldn't provide.

"It doesn't concern you." Under his presence, I lost my strength.

"So you became one of them too." He chuckled dryly, shaking his head in disappointment. My heart was already racing against my chest and now it would burst if he forced it out.

"Garnet, I am asking gently, what happened?" He asked huskily, his eyes glimmered with a hint of rage.

Goosebumps formed over my skin, panting heavily. "Why do you care?" I asked in a broken voice.

"Because I see myself in your-" In my what? In my misery? Why would you? He was about to say desperately with an intensive gaze but was cut off.

"There you are Roy!" Growling, Mr Layne closed his eyes, exhaled deeply out of frustration.

I was about to take a step back but his grip around me tightened, pulling me closer in his embrace.. To hide me from Lucien's shade?

"Sir-"

"It's alright." He whispered, wrapping his hands protectively around me.

We turned our heads, only to see Lucien coming to us. My grip on Mr Layne's shirt tightened, hiding my face in his chest, shutting my eyes.

When he walked closer to us, my breath began to suffocate me. We didn't pull away as I held Mr Layne firmly, "I was looking for you but seem like you are busy with your partner."

"What is it?" Mr Layne asked dominantly.

"Nothing much. Just wanna have your partner for another dance." I curled my toes, filled with immense consternation.

"Don't pry on my partner, Lucien." He warned.

"Already did." I think he meant 'Prey'

"We are leaving. Miss Beth is not feeling well." Mr Layne said.

"Oh, I see. Are you okay, Garnet?" Lucien asked sweetly with his usual grin, turning to look at me. Motherfucker, acting so innocently.

"Y-Yeah." I stuttered, still not looking at him directly.

"Let's Go." Mr Layne said, pulling away and holding my hand. The warmth in his hand gave me a sense of relief and I repulsed myself for feeling safe where I shouldn't but in Lucien's presence, Mr Layne was less malicious.

Our drive to our way back was silent. Neither he asked anything nor I said anything. I was incapable of doing so but the intrigue of my anguish consumed him.

"What did he do?" He asked, after a prolonged silence.

"Nothing." I replied, looking down, immersed in fright.

"Are you afraid of me as much?" He asked, narrowing his eyes in a gentle shine.

"I.. don't know." I replied honestly, tightening my grip around myself, trying to maintain my posture but it was becoming hard.

"Garnet." He called her again, probably after gathering his thoughts but I was too frightened to react properly.

"Huh? Y-Yes?" I asked timidly, curling my toes, trying to divert my mind but failed miserably.

"I.. am not him. I am not." He breathed out, tightening his grip on the steering wheel, jaw clenched but I was too apprehensive to have faith in him or his brother.

"Thank you." I said quickly, clearing my throat when we reached our place, ignoring his soft enunciation.

"Keep the dress with you." He said, looking out of his window.

"What?" I asked bewildered.

"No need to return the dress like the handkerchief. I have bought it for you. Keep it."

"I can't, Sir." And once again upon hearing me call him 'Sir' he glared at me and I continued, "I can't pay for it, Roy. I- "

"Just keep it. Don't bother me anymore." He said, irritated.

"But-" He glared at me again which shut me up immediately as I mumbled a 'thank you' and left.

I went inside and saw Lesley awake, waiting eagerly for me.

"Welcome home! How was it? Mr Layne is such a chivalrous guy! I don't understand how you can't love him?! Oh my God, I cannot believe Roy Layne was here! In my apartment!" She rambled on. I looked at her for a second but then lowered my gaze.

Lesley was shocked by my reaction. I changed the dress and took a cold shower to let out the sensation of the touch of both of the devils. A devoid look was formed over my face. I walked outside wearing my nightwear only to see Lesley sitting on my bed with a concerned look.

"You okay, Garnet? Did something happen?" She asked, walking close to me. I stopped in my tracks and looked at Lesley.

"My devastation." I whispered as I fell on the ground, I felt weak. Absolutely worried about my demeanor Lesley asked in a panic.

"What happened? Tell me, Did he do something to you?"

"I am at a dead-end, Lesley. There's no escape. I failed to watch my steps." I mumbled repeating. Mr Layne's words. My lips began to quiver, I turned to look at Lesley and then lowered my gaze and began to tell her everything that has happened till now.

How Mr Layne gave me the job just to take revenge, how I began to like Lucien but he turned out to be an insensible manipulator.

How he threatened me, how he knows about Dawn Academy. How the past I was trying to leave behind hit me with more force.

"I don't know what I should do.." I growled, slamming my hand down, taking rapid breaths, not being able to do anything for myself except pity.

Lesley hugged me and rubbed my back. She didn't say anything because she knows there are no words for my consolation.

She just kept soothing me and I kept letting out the growl which showed that I have lost against the cruel games of fate.

I never knew the past I left behind will come to haunt me.