26- A Short-Lived Solace

After I finished my coffee, I waited for her to come as she came and passed me a faint smile.

"Thank you." She whispered, giving me a pure smile which made my heart skip a beat at the charm of it.

'Was she always this pretty? Of course she was then why her smile-'

"Roy?"

She snapped her finger when I realized that I strayed and mesmerized for a moment.

"Huh? Nothing. Let's go." I said. What the hell was it?

We sat and I took her with me. We were once again outside of the orphanage as I told her, "You go."

"You said you won't leave me alone." She said with a frown.

"I am not interested." I muttered.

"Please, Roy. I can't go alone" She whispered expectantly.

"Look, Garnet I am-"

"Maybe you can find tranquility in the open air rather than behind the doors? Who knows it will make you feel better?" She said softly with a smile and leaned in a bit, almost pleading with me to convince me to go along.

"Did you hit your head?" I asked with a chuckle, raising an eyebrow in amusement.

"Why?" Her brows raised.

"Nothing." I said with an invisible smile and got out. She smiled widely and also got out.

Even if I have zero interest in going there I still have to. I walked inside with her and saw kids playing in the ground, looking so free from any burden. From responsibilities to be what others want them to be.

"Tranquility in the open air, hmm?" Whispering under my breath, my lips curled upwards.

"Did you say something?"

"Nothing. Let's go."

As we were walking an old woman came and hugged Garnet.

"Good Afternoon, Mother."

She smiled and then introduced me. I felt so awkward to be at this place. Just to win, I have to do these undesirable things.

"Good thing you came." She said and was about to continue but a high-pitched voice came.

"Nut!"

A soft yet screeching voice came and a ten years old girl; a child version of Garnet came. Same green eyes and dark brown hair.

I didn't know her sister was that young. She was literally a child. I expected her least to be a teenager but she was just a child.

Garnet bent on her knees and hugged her, "Oh Eri, how are you my love?" She asked, running her hands in her hair.

"I-I saw a nightmare. You left me and never c-came back." Her sister almost cried.

"I can never leave you behind. It's just a nightmare." Garnet tried to assure her.

"Don't be afraid." She said as if she would protect her till her last breath but in their heartwarming seconds, she spoke which restricted my breaths in anguish.

"I am here and always will, Eri."

Garnet promised, holding her hands and kissing them. By looking at them a sorrowful smile crept upon my lips. I found myself as her sister Eri, clinging onto Lucien like that.

"Promise?" Eri asked innocently.

Garnet smiled widely and replied, "I promise on my life."

Anything but that... When I heard it my childhood came to my mind,