5.

5.

the gift

December 24, 1994.

everyone was gathered around the admit desk, discussing their plans for christmas. there weren't really many patients to see.

"you're going out with me tonight" doug said, firmly

"who said that?"

"y/n it's honestly sad seeing you every holiday in your apartment alone"

"yeah but who said i want to spend it with you?"

he looked offended.

"i'm kidding" i said, rolling my eyes

"why is it that you have a soft spot for doug but not anyone else?" mark asked

"i don't have a soft spot for doug ross" i groaned, i knew that was a lie.

"not true" mark sing songed

"it's because i'm a charming guy, mark"

"you're so full of yourself" i laughed

"she's just kidding" mark whispered to doug.

"8:00, i'll pick you up at your apartment"

he said, as i was walking away.

maybe this 'date' wouldn't be so bad after all. although i had no idea why doug wanted to take me, of all people out. i had enough time to worry about the nightly plan though as it was only 9 in the morning.

i pawed through all the charts on the admit desk.

flu, flu, flu, lovely.

i picked up one of the charts and headed for exam 3.

doug was in there treating a little girl, it looked like she had the same problem as my patient did.

"we have to give you an iv honey" he said

as tough as he was or displayed, he loved working with children and he was very gentle mannered with them.

"hello, i'm dr. l/n, mrs. smith? your son here is complaining of a fever?"

"he's been sweating, coughing like crazy, tired and he won't eat a thing"

"sweetie can you open your mouth for me?"

"stick out your tongue and say ahhh"

the kid did so.

his throat was so red and irritated.

i looked in his ears too, they looked red as well.

"haleh, can you set up a saline iv, i'm gonna swab for strep just in case"

"mrs smith, it looks like your son has the flu"

"i'll wait until the swab comes back to make sure it's not strep or anything though"

"okay"

"i can also send you home with a prescription for some anti viral medicine but just make sure he's hydrated at home and he should be okay"

"so he's okay?"

"yes ma'am, he's perfectly fine, it's flu season, tons of kids have it"

"no strep" haleh said

"alrighty" i smiled, writing the prescription.

"you should be good to go"

"thank you so much"