EXTRAS

before i go on and give you some more, extra, i shots, i just want to list some songs that heavily inspired me to write this fic. this is going to be pretty cringey, and i apologize, but this is something i've put together for all of my fics so far. there is always at least one song i base my stories off of. so, here are the ones for this fic.

when we were young - adele
overall theme of the fic(and the song that inspired me to write this): old money - lana del rey (specifically the lyrics, "if you send for me you know i'll come.. i'll run to you, i'll run to you")
all i ask - adele (specifically: when doug leaves chicago... "if this is my last night with you.. cause what if i never love again?")
nobody gets me - sza (specifically: "i don't wanna see you with anyone but me, nobody gets me, you do")
open arms - sza (specifically: when doug is dating carol/a couple months after doug is in seattle.. "i gotta let you go, i must.. you're the only one that's holding me down")
like a bird - nelly (specifically:^^ "i don't know where my home is, i don't know where my soul is")
look after you - the fray (i saw a carol&doug edit to this sound and omg. i had this on repeat after i wrote y/n's birth part and it broke me!! but, this song fits the overall theme of y/n and doug ... "you're the only one who knows to slow it down.. oh be my baby, i'll look after you")
terrance loves you - lana del rey (specifically: "i lost myself when i lost you")
sign of the times - harry styles (another tiktok edit is the reason why this song is here.. the scene where doug is leaving, then reunites again with y/n. specifically: "we can meet again somewhere, somewhere far away from here")

BONUS ONE-SHOTS——————

doug's first time meeting juliette:
"wanna see juliette?" i whispered into doug's neck.
he let out a little laugh, pulling away from me.
i wiped a tear from my face and led him to the car. there juliette laid in her car seat, smiling.
i picked her up and out from the car.
"oh my god" doug whispered, wide eyed.
he got teary eyed which made me teary eyed, of course.
"here's your daughter" i smiled
"do you want to hold her?" i asked
he smiled, nodding his head.
i passed her off to him. he just gazed into juliette's eyes.
"i think she likes you" i smiled
"it's like she knows" doug laughed
his voice was raspy from holding in tears.
"y/n, she's perfect"
"she's ours" i said, wiping a tear away from doug's face.
"things are so different now" i smiled, looking around and back at the water.
"i know"
"i missed you, y/n"
i looked at my feet.
"i'm sorry for everything doug"
"shh" he hushed, snaking an arm around my waist.
"i love you"

y/n moving out of chicago:
doug was back in my apartment with juliette. we had finished packing up my place last night.
i was back in the ER, finishing my very last shift.
i was dealing with a seven year old boy who needed some sutures.
i set down some gauze on a metal tray "alright, you're good to go"
"make sure to keep those sutures dry for the next two days and come back in about two weeks to get them removed" i smiled
"i hope you're here to take them out" the mother smiled
"actually, i won't be"
she tilted her head "going on vacation?"
i shook my head "i'm moving to seattle"
"really, wow"
i nodded, then grinned
"thanks for being my last patient in chicago"

i begged the staff to not throw me a surprise party. after all, i'd been saying my goodbyes the whole day.
it was hard.
this was my family for many years.
they were all i ever had in chicago. county general got me through some tough times.
it was weird to think about...
"luka" i smiled
"it was really nice working with you"
"i wish you best in seattle, y/n"
"i wish you the best here"
"you know, i hope you marry carol someday" i whispered, walking away
"i'm rooting for you two" i smiled, he let out a laugh.
"abby" i exclaimed, down the hallway.
"you're gonna be a great doctor"
"i wish you the best in seattle" she smiled
i smiled back at her.
haleh wrapped me in a big hug.
"the mama of the hospital" i sighed
"you better send me a christmas card every year"
"you bet i will"
"tell doug i say hi"
"sure thing, haleh"
i walked over to carter, next.
"leaving dr. l/n?" he asked
i nodded my head "yes i am"
"it's funny, you know"
"i've watched you grow into the amazing doctor you are today" i smiled
"you're doing great things"
"i'll miss you" he smiled
"no you won't"
"you were my mentor, my leader for awhile"
"i don't know who i'll go to for advice" $3 shrugged
"you'll be alright" i smiled
"and you can always call" i added
he gave me a hug, i patted his back.