50.

50.

gut reaction
April 16, 1998

i look in the mirror and put on some dark eyeliner on my waterline. my eyeshadow was dark coloured, my lipstick a nude-brown color. i was off to the er's annual banquet. mark was hosting it this year.
it was usually a fancy event. fancy food and everything. last year almost the whole staff got blacked out, even i couldn't remember it that well.
i zipped up a black strapless midi dress and put my hair up in a french twist.
i put on a necklace that had a pearl on it along with a pair of matching earrings.
i slid on my black heels and i was off to go.
i didn't have work today, i spent most of my day sleeping since i had a double the previous day and arrived home early this morning.
it was april, however the night breeze was pretty cool. i sort of regretted not bringing my overcoat. i especially regretted that after a few drops of rain fell on me. the sidewalks were full of puddles.

i arrived at the venue. it was different to say the least. odd music filled the room. along with stuffed deer's on the walls.
"welcome, y/n" mark said, greeting me.
"thanks for having me"
he smiled.
"drink ticket" 
he handed me one
"i'm gonna need a couple more of those" i smiled, ripping off a few more
"your seat" he pointed to the spot right between doug and carol.
"ahh, arranged seating too?" 
i went to the bar, with my cocktail in hand, i headed to my spot.
"i don't know if i want to sit here or not" i chuckled
"we'll save the fighting for after this" carol said, side eyeing doug.
"you want to be an er attending now, huh?" i whispered at doug
he smiled.
i sipped on my drink, which was quite watery.
"just a couple weeks ago you wanted to quit"
"well, i guess i had a change of mind"
a couple moments went by.
"i haven't seen his number" he said, looking at my dress up and down
"should've taken me out on more dates"
"stubborn today" he laughed
i scoffed.
"you dated him too?" delamico questioned
"unfortunately"
"she loves me" doug mouthed
"how many drinks have you had?"

i ate dinner which was quite disappointing. the whole event was, i felt bad for mark though.
i felt even worse when the one man band started to play.
mark gave a speech, it made me rethink my whole year so far.
for so long i'd been looking at the cons of the er. never realizing the moments i did have with my friends. at the end of the day, these friends i've made have become my family. whether i liked it or not, it seemed like they were all i had.
"come on now" doug said, pulling me into the conga line.
somehow i was beginning to get tipsy, i guess the 5 watery drinks finally took effect.