27.

27.

union station

November 21, 1996.

i didn't work today, i had just gotten home a couple hours ago from a night shift, i've had a lot of those lately. i was heading back to the hospital because it was susan's last day.

everyone has surprised a party for her but the incoming trauma had other plans. i'm mean, in some ways it was fortunate since goodbyes are always hard. i'd known susan since she and i started working in this er. you could go to her for any advice and she'd be particularly helpful when you needed a laugh. i loved susan, it was almost like she was my sister in many ways.

for the past year life had been tough on her though. i mean, her sister, little susie, work. chicago didn't have enough for her and i completely understood. i'd probably make the exact same decision. nonetheless county was going to miss her.

"awh y/n" she said, wrapping me in a hug.

"i'm gonna miss you susan"

"i'll send you a postcard"

"county won't be the same without you"

"anyway, you have a train to catch"

"thanks for everything y/n"

"i'll miss you more" she said teary eyed.

"bye susan"

i watched as she headed off, off to phoenix, new beginnings.

i stayed around the er for a couple more hours. my shift was over now so i got on the l. that's when i spotted doug also getting on the l.

"mind if i sit here?" i asked

there was an empty spot next to him.

"not at all" he smirked.

"your spirits look lifted"

"yeah" he looked down

"vaccine clinic, hey?"

"something to do with my free time you know"

we were silent for awhile.

"i'm seeing a shrink y/n"

for some reason i was caught by surprise.

"that's great doug, i mean wow"

another few moments went by..

i placed a hand on his thigh

"i'm really proud of you"

he smiled.

"anyways, this is my stop, you have a good night" i stood up.

"goodnight y/n"

i walked off the l, heading home.

for once, part of me was disappointed that doug didn't follow me home, the old doug would've. part of me was really sad i separated from him but, obviously i think the reality check was needed for him.