79.

79. 
Untitled
June 21, 1999

i yawned in my kitchen, popping my prenatal vitamins in my mouth. my bump had grown so big that i no longer could see my feet. i mailed a picture of my belly to doug about a week back.
i was about five months pregnant and my symptoms now were heartburn and acid reflux, my boobs had gone up two cup sizes.
i couldn't wear anything.
i also couldnt really keep anything down again. all i was really eating was green yogurt and toast.
i stretched a navy blue tank top over my belly and tied some scrub pants on. that had been my go to outfit.
my apartment was a total mess though, i had boxes of diapers everywhere and a crib that i didn't set up yet.
i began walking to work. we got a new peids resident, cleo finch. she was pretty nice. we also had a new moonlighter, i hadn't really seen him though. luka kovac was his name.
the hot july sun was shining on my head, causing my dark hair to heat up. it felt like i was in an oven, cooking.
i went into the lounge and put on my lab coat.
"the baby is getting big" jeanie smiled
"yeah, can barely see my feet anymore"
i smiled
"due in november?" she asked
i nodded.
"yeah, five months already"
saying that was crazy to me.
"only five months and i can't wait to get this girl out of me"
"not having fun?"
"you know, i always thought i'd be a happy pregnant lady but now that i'm actually pregnant i wonder how you could be happy with this big watermelon attached to you"
jeanie laughed.
i wandered over to the admit desk.
"what do you have for me randy?" i panted
"i have a kid who fell of his bed in exam two"
"perfect"
"you look happy" mark greeted
"do i have that pregnancy glow?"
"just sweat" mark smiled
i laughed, shaking my head  "thanks for keeping me humble"

"so, jimmy"
"you fell out of your bed?"
"are you pregnant or fat?"
"jimmy!" the mother shouted
"i'm pregnant" i laughed
"i fell out of my bed"
"him and his brother were wrestling" the mother said, she looked embarrassed.
"i guess they got carried away and he fell"
i nodded my head
"can i see your hand?"
i looked at it, it had to be broken.
"ouch" i smiled
"it's not that bad" jimmy smiled. i could tell the kid was in pain though.
"it's definitely sprained" i nodded, turning his hand around. he winced in pain when i did so.
"but, we'll order a film and see if it's broken"
———
most of the day i was working on sutures and summer sickness. that was the downside of being pregnant i guess. boring cases. i did have an appy though, that sure made the surgery team happy. romano loved cutting into people. that was the one thing i didn't understand about surgeons, how they could just cut into people like that everyday.
anyway, i had a fairly short shift, i headed out and it was still bright outside. that didn't happen until recently in my career.
when i got home i checked the messages on my answering machine. doug had called.
i dialled him back.
"hello"
"hey, doug, sorry i missed you earlier" i smiled
"that's alright, i just wanted to let you know i got your picture"
"the baby's getting so big"
i smiled
"yeah, already five months along"
"wow" he said
"it's good seeing that beautiful face again"
"doug" i laughed.
"so, how've you been?" he asked
"i'm alright, work is so boring ever since i've stayed away from traumas"
"i bet"
"county got a new peids resident not long ago"
"is that right?"
"yeah, cleo finch"
"she's not that bad"
"as good as me?"
"never" i laughed
i stayed on the phone with doug for another twenty minutes. we tried our best to call each other often. it always made my day just hearing his voice.