20.

20.

a miracle happens here

December 25, 1995.

it was an unusual day in the er. in fact, today was full of different miracles. of course some prayers weren't answered tonight though.

the er christmas party was cancelled due to snow but doug told me it was moved to carols new house.

i threw on a big black sweater and some jeans. i threw on a coat since it was freezing outside, then again it always is in chicago.

after my shift ended, i arrived to carols house. it was a beautiful place and had lots of potential, i knew she was in the mitst of renovating anyways.

the music was pretty loud and there was people dancing everywhere. randi was serving alcohol to everyone. in a gravy boat though..

doug was standing by the window with baby susie in his arms. he rocked her back and fourth. he was a paediatrician and it was no doubt that he loved babies.

"need me to hold her?" i asked

he smiled, passing her off to me.

she was fast asleep

"glad you could make it" he kissed my neck.

it was about a half hour later. all full of dancing, eating, and laughing. doug and i switched off holding little susie.

"you guys, thanks so much"

"anytime" doug smiled

"no really, it means a lot"

"she's precious susan" i smiled

"i love her a lot"

"i should probably get going though, you two have a good night"

"you too"

"wanna head out?" doug asked a couple minutes later

"if you're ready, sure"

i headed over to carol

"carol, thanks for having us, you have a beautiful house" i said

"i'm glad someone thinks so" she laughed

"have a good night y/n"