8.

8.

sleepless in chicago

February 23, 1995.

the past few weeks, doug and i had been a reoccurring thing.

"i can't get over that girl"

he looked in the mirror, touching the claw mark on his neck.

"it's honestly horrible" i sighed

i changed from my work clothes into a tank top and pyjama pants.

i threw my bra and other clothes in a pile.

he came around to the other side of the bed and tucked a few strands of hair behind my ears.

i kissed him.

that was until the doorbell rang.

"stay right there" he smirked

i went into the bathroom and started brushing my teeth, trying to eavesdrop on what was going on out in the living room.

it was a couple minutes later and he still hadn't come back to the bedroom. i couldn't hear anything either. i spat the toothpaste into the sink and peered towards the front door.

i couldn't believe it. there stood carol, he had her wrapped up in an embrace. she leaned in for a kiss but he pushed her away. that's when he saw me.

i went back into the bedroom.

i knew that he and her had history and everyone knew that they belonged together, i just didn't want to admit that to myself. doug only wanted really one thing from you. even if i was just a place holder for when him and carol got back together. nobody knew of doug and i but, i felt like i was in a high school love triangle.

i threw my coat, socks and shoes back on. i grabbed my work bag.

"just wait right here and i'll explain everything to you" doug pleaded.

"i think it's probably best if i go stay at my own apartment tonight" i smiled

"please"

"i don't think that this was a good idea"

"let me drive you at least"

"i'll hop on the l"

"i love you y/n"

i stopped. he didn't say that many times, especially not to many people.

"i love you too" i mumbled.

i guess carol must've headed home because she was no longer in the apartment.

i walked into the february wind. i really wish i put my work clothes back on because it was so cold. i zipped my coat all the way up. i starter having second thought about leaving. maybe i was just overreacting. carol was engaged to tag, she found her happy person. i felt so dumb for feeling this way about doug. he went through women like they were nothing.

it was 4:00 in the morning when a series of knocks banged against my front door. i finally got up and went to see who it was. although i was pretty sure i knew.

"what are you doing here" i asked

of course it was him

"i couldn't sleep" he smirked, leaning on the frame of my door.

"i find that hard to believe"

"you're not just another woman i sleep with, okay?" he huffed

"i don't think about them as much as i do about you"

i rolled my eyes

"look, i want to have a future with you"

"why did she want to kiss you"

he looked down

"carol was crying because she didn't end up being able to foster tatiana"

"why did she come to you though?"

"i don't know"

i walked back into my apartment, he followed close behind.

"you're the only one i want"

beep beep beep.

it was already 6am, my shift started at 7.

i groaned getting out of bed, and looked over to see doug asleep on my bed too. it surprised me at first until i remembered the kisses and footsteps to the bedroom a couple hours ago.

i hopped in the shower, i didn't have time to wash my hair so, i tied it back.

when i got out of the shower, doug was awake. i buttoned my pants, riffling through my closet.

i tossed him a shirt and pants he left at my place a couple weeks ago.

i threw my coat on and headed out the door.

the ride to the hospital was kind of awkward to say the least.

"you've been awfully quiet"

"i don't know if there's much to say"

"you're still mad at me?" he smirked

"no"

"well, good"

"why's that?"

"friday night, you're mine"

"what if i'm not free friday night"

"your schedule says otherwise"

"what time" i groaned

"8:00"