Rengoku Kyojuro | Sibling Bond

Requested by AlicePastore3 !

Y/N is at least one year apart from Rengoku in age.

~*~
You take a calm stroll around the butterfly garden, spotting your brother from afar. Since you practically had nothing else to do, you walked up to him.

“Hi brother!” You give him a side hug. Rengoku returned the hug back with a big smile. “Hello Y/N!” He responded in his casual loud and enthusiastic tone. You eye his kanata unsheathed on his lap. You sit beside him, tapping the flame hilt of his sword. “Lemme guess, mission?” You glance at his face.

“Indeed! Is something wrong with that?” Rengoku tilted his head with the same smile still staying on his face. You looked at your brother with an unfazed expression. “I'm not surprised..” You mutter, leaning against Rengoku. “You're always on some sort of mission. I barely get to see you!” You slightly whine, pulling one of his hands up to your face.

Rengoku let out a small exhale from his body, setting his kanata down next to him. Rengoku gave you a big, tight squeeze of a hug. “Cheer up, Y/N! I'll be back before you know it, alright?” Rengoku patted both of your shoulders, your smile returning back on your face again. “You promise?” You fix your posture, narrowing your eyes.

“I promise!” Rengoku gave a nod of certainty, continuing to clean off his kanata blade with a soft cloth. You were definitely clingy towards your bigger brother, Rengoku. Following him around like an excited puppy, and silently waiting for him to return from his missions.

Even though you were definitely mature, you still acted like a child at times, almost all the time around your brother. “Hey, hey! Kyojuro! When you're back, wanna play a game?” You tap your hand on the kanata's case in a certain rhythm, Rengoku had on the side of him.

“Ah, sure! What game shall we play?” Rengoku's face lit up more, folding the small cloth. You look down at your feet, thinking for what to possibly play without making lots of noise or breaking anything. “I'll just take that..” Rengoku whispered, gently grabbing the kanata's case loosely from your hand, carefully placing his sword in the case, making a satisfying click-like noise.

“Hmm.. well, keep thinking about it! I'll be going now!” Rengoku rose to his feet, adjusting his flame patterned haori a bit before leaving. “Oh, bye-bye, brother!” You waved your hand against the air as he repeated. You watched Rengoku slowly walk away till he was gone. He.. never told me what the mission was about. You let out a soft sigh, slouching your posture. I miss him already...

You lift your head up at the blue sky, slowly turning into a yellowish-orange color. You made your way inside the mansion, running out of things to do. You slide your door behind yourself, laying down on your bed. You eventually decided to rest your body and mind and doze off.

~*~

You eventually awaken once again, slowly sitting up coughing a few times. You took a sip of water that was already in your room. Of course, the water wasn't cold. So, it didn't quench your thirst as much. You cleared your throat a couple of times, realizing you did sleep with your mouth halfway open.

A bit annoyed by your sore throat, you grab your warm cup of water to replace with cool water. You slide open your door, your eyes locking on the doorway of the mansion. You suspect it's your brother. “Brother?” You question, inching towards the doorway.

“Pardon?” Aoi tilted her head to the side, putting one of her hands on her hip. Embarrassingly, you stopped your mouth from opening back up. “Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you were my brother..” You quickly reply in a raspy tone. “That's alright.” Aoi gave a nod. “Hold on, aren't you the Flame Hashira's little sister?” Aoi questioned.

You gave a nod. “Have.. you seen Kyojuro anywhere?” Your tone cracked a bit. “No,  apologies.” Aoi lowered her voice. A concerned sigh exited your mouth. “Okay.. thanks.” You gave a faint smile towards the butterfly helper, walking away.

You eventually fill your cup up with cool water. Taking a couple of sips that cooled your sore throat. You cleared your throat once more, lifted your head up as you let out a slight pout. Brother.. where are you?

You began to grow tired and concerned as the hours went by. You walk back to your room, flopping on your bed. You fluff and adjust your pillow for awhile before falling back to sleep to get your mind off of your brother.

“Y/N..!” You were woken by a gentle, yet constant tap on your back. You turn to the other side of your body, opening one of your eyes to a bright yellow hair color. Immediately, you open your other eye to find a worrisome Rengoku in your face.

“Brother! You're back!” You caught your gasp, quickly giving him a hug. You were still waking up, but it didn't bother you as much. You were just very relieved to see Rengoku back and unharmed. “I am!” Rengoku nodded, pausing. “You.. were muttering something in your sleep. Should I perhaps be concerned?” Rengoku blinked as you froze. “I was?” You responded a bit embarrassingly.

“Well, um.. I'm fine!” You quickly add on, calming Rengoku's concern. Still, a bit dozy, you lean against your brother, resting your head on his shoulder. “Well then, that's good!” Rengoku softy chuckled to himself, tilted his head over to yours with a smile.

You end up quickly falling back asleep on your brother's shoulder, your grip loosening on his arm. Rengoku gave you another soft hug to the side of your body before setting you back in your bed. Quietly, he slid your door behind him without a sound, letting you doze off into a tranquil dream.

~*~
I missed writing Rengoku chapters! Also, writing the name 'Kyojuro' felt weird to me.

Have an amazing day!