Chapter 98

Erika POV
I reeled back my hand and slapped Joe across the face. "Don't you dare threaten my father" I fumed. Joe looked at the ceiling and then sighed. When he looked down at me he rolled his eyes. "You know you can't leave me. So, play that game and hide behind your family. But you know the longer you take to come to me. The worse things we will get".

I panic thinking about all the things he did to me before. If I had to go back with him I would get punished harshly. I took steps toward Joe but Taylor stopped me. "She's not going anywhere. Now you need to leave" My father implored.

"I've had enough," Joe said darkly. He pulled a gun from his back pocket. He pointed at my dad and I ducked. I held my hands over my head breathing heavily. My siblings hovered over me crouched beside me. "Why do this Joseph when you see my daughter isn't happy"my father croaked.

"She and I were meant to be since the first time you introduced us. If she would just listen we would be happy. She'll be happy" Joe showed his twisted smile. "Now Erika come here," he said softly. I looked at my siblings who shook their heads but I let go of their hands. I slowly took his hand and he pulled me into his chest. He looked down at me nuzzling his face into my hair.

I sucked in a breath squirming and felt his hand placed on my back. "Please let's just go" I whispered. His lips move to my ear "Go get Conrad. I will meet you at the door". He let me go and I gave one last worried look to my father. I quickly went up the stairs following Conrad's boisterous yelling.

"I WANT MOMMY" he sobbed. I opened the door to my mother trying to comfort him. I came in and once saw me he jumped in my arms. "What is going on" my mother gulped. "Joe...he wants us to leave," I said turning around. My mother gripped my hand forcing my sleeve to reveal itself. "Erika," my mother said in a low tone.

My eyes move to the old scars on my wrist. "Did..did he do this to you" my mother covered her mouth. I held Conrad close to my chest petting his head. My eyes answering her question made her sigh with sobs. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry". I looked at my mother on her knees and my lip quivered.

"It's not your fault. None of us saw this coming. Just...take care of dad". "ERIKA" I heard Joe yell. My back twitched hearing the urgency of Joe's voice. I quickly went down the stairs to see Joe holding the gun in front of the rest of my family. Coming near Joe I covered Conrad's face. "Since you wanted me to leave and never come back then WE won't" Joe growled.

Joe opened the door letting me out first then him. He let me into the car and slammed the door. As Joe pulled off I watched my family on the steps through the rearview mirror. "Fucking, hell" Joe grumbled. Conrad winced and I held him closer to me. Joe watched us sighing. "I'm sorry". "Are you really" I jested.

"They were trying to take you both away from me. They should be glad I didn't slaughter them". I took sharp intake. "Did you do that to my father?" I asked. "Make him walk with a limp? He got angry that he couldn't see you. Thought I hurt and tried to attack me. My men put him in his place and he got hurt. So, if you're asking me did I do that to him? Then no" Joe stated.

"I don't understand you. You used to be so different. You are to be a friend and treat me with respect. Now ...now you're a monster. You hurt me, my family. What's next hurt our son" I croaked. He pulled over on the street and harshly looked at me. Conrad asleep in my arm gave me the satisfaction that he would not see whatever his father might do to me.

"I love you. I told you I've loved you since we were kids. We've been together for that long so when I find that you're gone. You don't understand what that does to me. How would feel when the person of your dreams likes someone else? I had enough and I thought you would learn to be with me. But you up and leave me" he started crying.

"You hurt me. What did you expect" I whispered. "I expected you to stay with me and let me watch our child grow up," he remarked. "You scared me and I didn't know what you do with my son". "Our son. I understand now that things are different. That I hurt you. But I want us to be together. I will stop intentionally hurting you. If you promise you will try to love me. Cause if this continues we both will be old and be lonely together" he warned.

"I have Conrad. I will never be lonely. What I want you to understand is that I can't love you. Everything you put me through. I just can't" I admitted. It was silent on the way back home but I felt relief. All though I may never see my family again. I had the courage that I had finally tell him how I felt. I just hope he would finally understand.