Chapter 16 - Eat Together

Although he was sweating profusely, Mouchet was meticulously decorating the end of the dish. He placed a chunk of roast beef on a heated white porcelain plate and poured the gravy and wine sauce over it. The aroma from the sauce stimulated the salivary glands hidden under the tongue, causing saliva to pool in the mouth.

The meat is covered in a dark brown sauce, again sprinkled with rosemary leaves and a few spices, and various kinds of cooked beans are mixed with mashed potatoes and placed around it.

That plate alone would make you feel full, but he only had Lena push the handle of the cart, adding the seeded grapes and cherries then slicing it in half and setting it to perfection, adding toasted biscuits and honey, and finally a bottle of wine.

'It looks delicious.'

When she came here, Lena was eating much better than in Barony Fidelia. But when she saw the food in front of her that was sure to be delicious just by looking at it, she was craving it. She doesn't know if she's salivating because she hasn't eaten yet.

Lena pushed the cart back into the dining room. Meanwhile, Kahel had eaten almost all of the pre-meal food and was wiping his lips with a napkin. Lena hurriedly removed the pre-meal dish and placed the steaming main dish in its place.

"To, today's dish is beef, no, veal...... Meat. Uh...... And the sauce is wine...... Ah ... what was it......."

It was hard to memorize the words that the chef had explained while cooking, but when she stood in front of Kahel, her head went blank. She crumpled her apron as if squeezing out her memory but she couldn't remember it. It was only a few minutes after she thought that she would become a useful maid, and that her attendance for a meal was a golden opportunity, but she was already blinded by the fact that she had made such a mistake.

"I just wish it hadn't been poisoned and as long as it tastes good, that's it."

Kahel had no intention of berating Lena, who was overly nervous. Since he normally ate alone, he didn't hear such explanations, and he still had no problem with eating. Rather, it was much more important to fully enjoy the feeling of cutting into freshly cooked hot pieces of meat.

"Umm...... !"

The meat he put in his mouth was so tender and delicious that the expression that it melts in your mouth is just right. Obviously, the same chef would have made the same level of food before, but he felt that the taste itself had changed. He was amazed that there was such a big difference between the taste of a freshly prepared dish and a cold dish.

When Kahel showed that he liked the food, Lena was greatly relieved. She then realized that she had not yet poured wine into the glass, and she hurriedly uncorked the wine bottle. Kahel looked at the red liquid that was pouring out, and smiled as he followed it.

'It was so convenient to have someone to help you with your meal.'

From the moment Lena placed the bowl of water for washing hands in front of him and dried his hands with a towel, small emotions came through. In his life before the age of seven, he always ate like this. All he had to do was shove the food into his mouth. Mealtime has always felt melancholy and somehow gloomy, but from today on, it feels like it's going to be quite enjoyable.

Then, all of a sudden, Lena, who was watching his meal from a distance, started to pay attention to him. If he drank water or wine, dropped something, or needed anything else during a meal, she had to attend right away, so it was only natural for Lena to look after him. At first, he thought it might be difficult because it was her first time to attend a meal service, but he soon realized why.