Chapter 88 - A kind salvation

It seems like it was just yesterday that the New Year’s party was full of excitement, but it was already the Spring Banquet. The Spring Banquet was a small party held by the Queen in early March. Sometimes it was a concert, sometimes it was a play, and sometimes it was a small ball.

“It was a concert this year.”

Kahel took off his coat and gave it to Lena, muttering. Gerard, who had met Kahel outside and came to the Duke’s office with him, flopped down on the sofa and nodded his head.

“Well, as expected. Will Her Majesty do something herself?”

“No. Instead, it seems that some wives close to Her Majesty are preparing to play the piano or to sing.”

Lena left Kahel’s coat hanging and went out to prepare the tea. Gerard glanced at the door as she closed it completely before turning his gaze to Kachel.

“So, are you going to introduce Miss Lena at this banquet?”

“Well. With an honest heart, I want to keep her a secret, but my best friend, Miss Liddell, seems to be interested in Lena.”

“Hmm. Well, it lasted longer than I thought.”

“I don’t feel so good.”

“Yes? What do you mean?”

But Kahel could not answer Gerard’s question. He was a little shy to say that he seems to have noticed that Liddell thinks Lena is special. But it was true that it didn’t feel so good. For she sent someone to Kerouac and dug into Lena’s past, Liddell was strangely quiet.

“Ah, I heard that an interesting song is popular among commoner children these days.”

Kahel changed the subject. He was convinced that if it was Gerard, his attention would be directed there. Not surprisingly, Gerard shrugged his shoulders and let out a playful laugh.

“After thinking about it, I wonder if anyone is going to read through <Logos Biography> one by one. Isn’t that the scripture that only the two Duchies’ blood relatives memorize? I thought that a popular song among children would have a far more ripple effect at changing people’s thoughts.”

Recently, among children, the song ‘Luck is brought by black birds’ has been popular.

The white bird’s chirping is good to hear, but the black bird brings the seeds.

Although the flapping of a white bird’s wings is beautiful to look at, the black bird brings good luck.

The white bird lives on the clouds in the distance, the black bird lives on the roof of our house.

Anyone with the slightest sensibility could know that this song is a comparison of the noble and beautiful Duchy of Santella, separated from the lives of the people, and the Duchy of Luave, who lives practically and enriches the lives of the people. And the song, which is not long, quickly spread among the children.

It was said that the merchants already made and sold black bird-shaped ornaments. They seemed to be adding to the story as something that always brings good luck to the house.

“It was pretty fun, what you did.”

“Oh man, I’m hearing a compliment from Kahel.”

At Gerard’s witty reaction, Kahel smirked. Gerard thought that at some point Kahel had laughed quite often. He used to be the kind of person who would hardly ever laugh unless he was ‘joking’ or being ‘cynic’. But recently, he used to laugh naturally in front of him. He had no idea when Kahel had changed like that.