Chapter 76 - Flutter, flutter

Lena looked around and walked over to the bed, not knowing what she wanted, and Evelyn grabbed Lena’s hand as she approached her. It was a task that consumed a lot of energy for her, but it didn’t matter. If only she could show this girl her sincerity.

“My son…… grew up very, very lonely. To others, it may look like someone who has everything, but because he is a child with so many wounds…… he doesn’t like having anyone by his side. But he seems to like Miss Lena quite a bit.”

Lena’s cheeks turned red at those words.

“His Excellency is very generous and merciful.”

Even though he was her son, Evelyn knew that Kahel was by no means generous or merciful. If Kahel looked that way to Lena, it meant that he had a really different attitude in front of Lena. Evelyn’s hopes seemed to have grown a little brighter. But just because she was greedy for nothing, doesn’t mean she could force Lena to do anything. All she can do is pray for her with all her heart.

“I beg you. Miss Lena…… please stay…… for a long, long time…… really long time…….next to Kahel.”

Surprised by her trembling voice, Lena put her other hand on top of Evelyn’s and nodded her head eagerly.

“Yes! Do not worry. If His Excellency does not let me go, I will do my best to serve him forever.”

“Ah…… Thank you, Miss Lena. Thank you.”

Lena couldn’t understand why the Duchess had tears in her eyes for something Lena should be grateful for. Then, all of a sudden, she remembered that Kahel had something called the devilish curse attached to him. She kept forgetting because it didn’t make any sense to her, but seeing the Duchess’ fervent request, whose life was short, it was clear that the curse was the long agony of the people of this great family.

After hearing Lena’s reply, Evelyn felt at ease and soon fell asleep as if she had lost consciousness. At first, Lena was so nervous that she thought something serious had happened, but only after seeing her chest rise and fall shallowly, she sighed in relief. Now, she will wait until the Duchess is completely asleep, and then she will quietly go out.

‘Her hands are so cold…….’

Lena was startled by Evelyn’s hands, so cold and dry that she couldn’t believe it belonged to a human. She wanted to melt this cold hand with her own hands. Even though there were several hot pots with hot water in the blanket, her hands were so cold that it didn’t seem like they would get warm easily, but Lena held Evelyn’s hands tightly with her hands and closed her eyes.

‘I hope that even just this hand that I hold will be warm…….’

As she prayed, she focused on Evelyn’s hand she was holding. But at that moment, her eyes brightened white, and her mind became hazy, and her whole body lost strength. Lena struggled to regain her senses, until she collapsed onto the bed without releasing Evelyn’s hand.

‘Huh…… ? What’s wrong with me?’

She was dizzy, as she had once collapsed in Kahel’s arms. She thought she was about to faint again, just like then, but her body couldn’t move, and her mind remained hazy. Besides, she was awakened by a strange sensation she had never felt before. It felt like her whole body was filled with particles of light. She felt something heavy for it to be just light, but she couldn’t figure out what it was.

At the border of her consciousness and unconscious, Lena became a little bird made of particles of light, and she imagined herself flowing into the Duchess’ body, riding the cold, withered hands. She couldn’t tell if it was an imagination or a dream.