Chapter 138 - Duke Luave's Residence's Love Story (4)

“The butler must have suffered a lot.”

“To be honest, it was something I was looking forward to, so there wasn’t much heartache. I had a bad relationship with my older brother from a young age, so I was rather relieved. So it’s amazing and admirable that Nelia is so friendly with your siblings.”

At Nelia’s consolation, Arder raised his eyebrows slightly and passed them over as if nothing had happened.

It was a story from the past that he had never told anyone he worked with, but it wasn’t too difficult to tell Nelia. He didn’t think Nelia would spread this story to anyone, and he didn’t think she would see him badly.

“It’s strange. I’ve never told anyone like this before.”

At Arder’s indifferent confession, Nelia paused for a moment, then the tip of her ear slightly blushed.

“I will never say anything.”

“I never thought that you would.”

“…… thank you.”

The two finished drinking the tea and stood up. Nelia tried to pay, but Arder lightly snatched the bill.

“It’s the first time in 20 years I’ve had a private meal with a woman, so I don’t want to do that to you.”

With that said, Arder picked up the bill, and Nelia had no choice but to stare blankly at Arder’s back, who was ahead of her. For a moment, she wondered, ‘Is that true?’ but she wondered why Arder would tell such a lie. When she thought about it that far, her ears, which had been warm since before, quickly turned bright red.

But Nelia quickly made up her mind.

‘You can’t think like this. How dare you, knowing your place…….’

From the first time she met him, she thought he was a very cool person. Sometimes, when he showed a wonderful smile, her heart raced. But every time he did, she remembered the words of the mansion’s old servants.

“Arder Higgins is every wife’s dream. He’s in his 40’s, but he’s in good shape, he’s got a good face, he’s got the trust of the Duke, he’s got a lot of money, he’s still single…… There is nothing missing.”

“It is said that he has never responded to such requests to meet from wives who have been widowed or divorced. There were a lot of famous beauties.”

“Is it impossible? Or maybe he likes men…… ?”

“Is it impossible? I heard that he had a fiance when he was young. But it seems that the fiancee was stolen by his older brother.”

“Then, he can’t forget that fiance……?”

She didn’t care about each and every story about him, but she knew for sure that she wasn’t the right person for him anyway. So she has only ever treated him as a faithful chief maid. She always wanted to do that…… Nelia was habitually fiddling with the brooch near her collarbone.

“I brought up the meal to return my favor, but I’ve only caused you trouble.”

“What do you mean trouble! Thanks to you, I was able to get a change of pace after a long time and it was good.”

The two walked slowly down the street lined with sycamore. The sun was warm and it was not cold at all. No, they may have been so focused on the person walking next to them that they didn’t even know it was cold.

Then, Arder pointed somewhere.

“The fountain is working today because the weather is nice.”

It was the fountain where people tossed coins and made a wish. He didn’t know when he last came to the square. As Arder said, there were quite a few people in the square because the weather was nice. They headed towards the fountain that made a cool flowing sound.