Chapter 27 - At least once

It was a moment of reunion full of joy and emotion, but as the tears flowed, the three of them came to their senses and realized who they were in front of.

As soon as Lena came to her senses, she knelt down on her knees in front of Kahel and continued to bow her head.

“Thank you, Duke! I will never forget this grace for the rest of my life. Thank you! Thank you!”

They were more precious than her own life. As a loner in this world, they were the only people she could call family. She was very grateful to Kahel for bringing these people here. No matter what he asked her to do, it seemed like she would be willing to do it at the cost of her life.

And Theo and Sid, who realized that Lena, whom they thought was dead, was alive thanks to Kahel, also fell on their knees next to her.

“Thank you so much for saving Lena! I will serve you with allegiance for the rest of my life!”

However, Kahel, who suddenly received Lena’s bow, was a little perplexed. No, he was actually a little too embarrassed.

If he had been embraced by her as she had done with Theo or Sid, he would have been less embarrassed than this. He swears he didn’t expect such an appreciation. No, he thought he would get a thank you, but it wasn’t like this. He was hoping for something a little more intimate than this.

“Ha…… Everyone, get up. I didn’t mean to receive such a greeting.”

The three of them, lying on the floor, barely sat across from Kahel, with Arder’s push.

“You seem to have calmed down a little now. First of all, Theo and Sid. It’s Lena, not me, whom you should thank. Lena said that as a reward for a job well done, she refused to earn jewelry and she wanted to know how you guys are doing. So every time Lena was given a reward, it’s just more economical and efficient to have you guys work in the mansion’s stables rather than have someone go out to see how you guys live every time.”

Even though Kahel said so, the three people sitting in front of Kahel couldn’t have not known that it was a great grace. Wouldn’t any nobleman in this world hesitate to take the trouble of bringing the lowly things into account?

Moreover, the position of a Duchy’s employee was a great career no matter which the position was. Even if they later left the Duchy, they would not starve to death if they had a letter of recommendation from this place.

Kahel, who became burdened by their twinkling eyes, got up from his seat, left Arder for the details.

After returning to his office and working again, Kahel went through a few papers before falling into a different thought.

‘She knew how to show such intense emotions…….’

It was a side of Lena he had never seen before. He saw only tears from fear, but Lena, who was crying with joy, was so pretty, sad, and pathetic that the hearts of those who saw her were hurting.

He kept thinking of the person who was careful to even move her finger in front of him, hugging the stable keeper like a child. He had never thought that Lena was so small, and when she held Theo in her arms she looked like a really small, fragile baby.

There is Theo’s decent build, but he was a little taller than Theo, so he thought Lena would look really slender if he held her in his arms. He thought that if Lena rolled her body a little round, she would fit in his arms. He wondered if she would have looped her arms around him, so he smiled in vain.

But the smile faded away as he recalled the scene where Lena hugged Sid.

‘No matter how they grew up like siblings, they’re not really blood relatives, isn’t she overly intimate? They’re both over the age of adulthood……’