Chapter 67 - She's mine

“The child Kahel introduced yesterday had purple eyes. I checked with Elliot again, so it’s certain. As Brother said, purple eyes are rare. Are there two such maids in the Duchy of Luave? Besides, she’s nineteen. Her hair was dark. She almost fits what Brother remembers.”

Lian nodded his head, remembering the young lady in the carriage looking out the window with an innocent face.

“She certainly is.”.

“And, crucially, that Kahel was deliberately pretending to be ignorant of such a maid.”

“Kahel must have been unable to do anything. He would have to show the maid to stop your attack, and he wouldn’t want to expose the fact that she was his close maid.”

The two exchanged a relaxed smile.

“Even Kahel wouldn’t think that such a secret would last. He must have been just trying to delay the timing. This morning, he sent a few people to Kerouac to investigate the maid’s past. Aren’t you excited to see what news they’ll bring?”

“I wish I could meet the maid in person and ask her story.”

“Kahel is not going to give up easily. You could have used an apology as an excuse if Elliot hadn’t been reckless yesterday.”

When Elliot was talked about, Lian shook his head.

“She was a girl I didn’t like at all. Her head is empty, and she is greedy.”

“That’s why she is convenient. I’ll make sure she doesn’t bother you.”

“I think you should do it a little faster. Look over there.”

Where Lian pointed with his chin, Elliot was acting coy, surrounded by young men. She seemed to be trying to pretend she wasn’t like that, but it was a shallow move that was obvious to those who had grown up as the center of the social world from birth.

“Elliot must have been in a hurry, too. But she’s not going to connect with any of them. Do not worry.”

“What else do you mean?”

“Elliot already has a great husband.”

“What?”

“Ah, there, Kahel has arrived.”

Liddell turned around, and Lian quickly forgot his thoughts about Elliot. Because it wasn’t a topic he wanted to talk about anyway.

Kahel entered the banquet hall with Damien today. Mariela, the organizer of yesterday’s tea party, also followed them in an elegant manner. Although she had lost her maiden name of Luave a long time ago, the Duchess, suffering from a chronic illness, was unable to appear in public, so Mariela was half regarded as the Mistress of the Duchy of Luave.

“She is a difficult person to deal with, Countess Delroot. She knows too many people, so I guess I’m nervous for no reason.”

“Because she almost became a jurist. We should be grateful to Count Delroot, whom she fell in love with.”

“What would be good to love such a blunt person? He wasn’t even handsome.”

“It’s not a family that will be obsessed with looks. She’s Madam Delroot. She must have been someone who had become accustomed to the looks of her younger brother from a young age.”

“I’m used to Lian’s looks, but I still like handsome men? What if I marry an ugly man and my child looks like the husband and is ugly? That’s something you can’t do to a child.”