Chapter 72 - One grain of happiness

It seemed that the strangely twisted puzzle was finally put together perfectly. Why did Kahel, the king, have only one maid, why he refused to have a bath attendant, why he ate in the small dining room instead of the dining hall, why did everyone in the mansion and castle treat her with care and why there was no sign of dissatisfaction with Kahel’s special treatment, and why Kahel is so reluctant to people…….

‘After such a childhood, how did you become a great Duke? That is amazing…….’

While imagining a person who was possessed by Kahel’s devilish powers and rushed to him, she remembered Baron Fidelia and his wife, who were acting strangely inside the cage. Her memories weren’t perfect because of her fear, but she did remember how desperate they were to be unable to reach Kahel to the point of despair. It was that much even when they were locked up in a cage, if not they would have definitely rushed towards Kahel.

If the average person had been subjected to such threats every day, he would not be sane with the fear of the curse. He had had such terrible experiences when he was only seven years old.

However, Kahel overcame such wounds and was perfectly performing the job of the head by anyone’s standard. Lena was more impressed with Kahel more than the fact that she was not under the devilish curse. In addition, she vowed to work harder in the future, as she was the only close maid. In fact, up until now, she thought that there was someone who was in charge of the parts she couldn’t touch.

‘It was kind of strange. If there is such a person, there’s no way we can avoid meeting like this.’

Lena sighed, blaming her innocent head. She wondered when she would ever be able to become a maid who knew everything like Marianne, or if she could ever be such a maid herself.

Anyway, Lena urged Jessna once more that she should never bring this out of her mouth, and then she quickly changed her clothes and headed to Kahel’s room. In his room, with his luggage, two of the maids were waiting for Lena. Following Lena’s instructions, they organized Kahel’s clothes and bedding and went out. Lena stayed and was organizing the valuables, when Kahel came in.

“Are you doing this alone?”

“Ah, Your Excellency! no. The maids just helped me. Valuables cannot be left unattended…… Would you like to change clothes?”

“Hmm. In comfortable clothes.”

“Yes. I will prepare it soon.”

Kahel pulled the strap of the heavy cloak from his shoulders, placed it on the back of the chair, and took off the coat, turning his weary neck from side to side. The cloak he had taken off had a faint scent of medicinal herbs.

After he arrived, he tried to see his mother right away, but his mother had just fallen asleep, and he had decided to wait until evening and had just returned. Even when he went near his mother’s room, the vibrating scent of medicinal herbs broke his heart. It was purely his fault that the Duchess, who could not afford to be surrounded by the scent of flowers, lived in the musty smell of herbs.

If he could cut his heart out and his mother could be healed, he wanted to do it right now. He wanted to pour all of his magical energy into his mother’s body and do whatever it takes for her to get better. However, it was a disease that could not be cured even with his life and all his magical energy, so Kahel had no choice but to struggle with guilt.

Everyone praised him for possessing the most magical powers in all of the history of the Logos, but it was nothing but a curse to him. If he hadn’t been born with this kind of magic, his mother wouldn’t have been so sick, and maybe he wouldn’t have been cursed by this devilish curse. He may lead the Luave family and the Logos to prosperity with this overflowing magical power, but it was clear that he would not gain a single grain of happiness.