Chapter 30 - Fountain of Wishes

Lena was helpless at her remorse as she got out of the Duke’s residence in a carriage, but as she began to see the city of Ardennes, she quickly lost her gaze to the scenery outside the window.

“Wow…….”

It was such a bustle that she couldn’t even imagine in rural Kerouac. The carriages and horses, which were difficult to see in Kerouac, had already passed by the Duke’s carriage several times, and the road was covered with dense stones, so there was hardly any dust.

Even the attire of those who were clearly not nobles looked sophisticated in Lena’s eyes, and it was surprising that the buildings were all tall and luxurious, and that they were close together. What surprised Lena the most was the fountain.

“Wow…… !”

Hearing a much louder exclamation than the previous ‘wow’, Kahel turned his head slightly and looked at the place where Lena’s gaze was embedded. It was a fountain in the middle of the square, with water gushing out from various places of the statues supporting the god of two legendary beasts that turned into women.

“Is this your first time seeing it?”

“Yes. However…… How does water come out of that stone?”

For Lena, who only knew the properties of water flowing from top to bottom, it was very strange to see the statue standing in the middle of the pond spewing water alone.

“It’s called a fountain. There is a tube installed inside the statue, so if water is supplied with strong pressure from the outside, it will spring up from the bottom like that. They are using the labor of prisoners to maintain that fountain.”

Lena couldn’t understand all of Kahel’s explanation, but the fountain was so beautiful that she thought it was a good thing.

“Oh? Excuse me…… What are people throwing?”

“Sometimes you toss a coin to make a wish.”

“Yes? Throwing money?”

“Yes. There is a saying that if the coin got on the pedestal that supports the statue, your wish will come true. It’s not that they’re throwing a lot of money, it’s usually just a fairy tale.”

“Wow…… that’s wonderful.”

As Lena stared at the receding fountain up to her neck, Kahel suddenly opened the coachman’s side window.

“I’m going to stop by the fountain square. Make a stop nearby.”

At his command, the carriage immediately turned and headed towards the fountain. And Gerard, who had been looking at him the whole time with a shocked expression, asked as if he was dumbfounded.

“Lord Kahel…… ? You don’t have much time”

“When you’re a Duke, you can be a little late.”

After giving such an answer, Kahel got off the stopped carriage first and escorted Lena, who was trembling with regret again.

The two of them pressed their hoods deeply to cover their faces as much as possible and approached the fountain. There were quite a few people passing by the square, but there were not many people near the fountain. As the weather was getting colder, their suspiciously covered faces did not attract people’s attention.

“Come on, I’ll give you a coin, so you can make a wish too.”

Kahel placed one of the silver coins in Lena’s hand. Kahel gave her a silver coin because he didn’t believe in fairy tales, but the silver coin equivalent to 100 luans was a lot of money for Lena. But she also felt bad to say she wouldn’t do it when the master gave her money to make a wish. If so, what would be a wish worth throwing so much money into?