Chapter 48 - That's a relief

He glanced at Lena, who was sleeping quietly, and carefully tucked the hair that flowed down her forehead behind her ear. Come to think of it, Lena’s ears were also pretty and cute. He wouldn’t be too surprised if those cute little ears turned elongated like bunny ears. There may be a sense of ‘Oh, as expected, she must have been a rabbit.’

“Uu, uhh…….”

A thin moan echoed from Lena’s neck. Only then did Kahel realize that he was fiddling with Lena’s ears. Astonished by this fact, he jumped up from his seat without realizing it and took a couple of steps back. The momentum caused the chair he was sitting on to topple over, making a stinging noise.

“My…… !”

As he hurriedly put the chair back, he suddenly felt as if someone was calling him. No, he must have felt a gaze rather than a sound.

When Kahel raised his head, there, pale purple eyes were looking at him.

“Lena?”

“…….”

He was sure she was looking at him, but Lena didn’t answer. Frightened at the moment, he hurriedly approached Lena’s side and made eye contact with her.

“Lena. Are you awake? Do you know who I am?”

“Your…… Excel…… lency…….”

The lips, which had lost their color, moved slightly and answered as if in a whisper. But, as if her mind had not yet returned, Lena said earnestly, the lips trembling with messy motion.

“Ru…… run…… away……mon…… ster is…….”

Kahel’s heart pounded at that small voice. From the moment Lena lost her consciousness until now, she was only worried about him.

“Lena…… It’s okay. This is Sharden Castle.”

“Castle…….”

“Yes. I was caught off guard. There is no set date for the monsters to appear, but I took you there and made you go through such a difficult thing. I’m sorry, Lena.”

“Your…… Excellency…… are you…… safe?”

The only concern that flashed in those murky purple eyes was about him, so Kahel couldn’t utter a word as if his throat was caught.

“Are you…… unharmed…….”

Lena struggled and asked again at Kahel, who couldn’t say anything as if his mouth was blocked. So Kahel had no choice but to squeeze his voice out.

“I, I am fine. You worry about yourself. I don’t know if you remember, but your back…….”

“That’s a …….relief…..”

Lena smiled slightly with a peaceful face and she fell asleep again. However, unlike Lena, who slept peacefully, Kahel hardened his face as if he had been struck by lightning.

“Relief…… ? A relief…… ?”

She was captured by the monsters, and she was severely wounded by Sevchek, but he did not know what was a relief about it. Because he was unharmed? It was a brief moment, but Kahel questioned whether Lena had any reason to put his life ahead of her own.

It’s been half a year since she was by his side with the pretext that she inherited Baron Fidelia’s blood. She said it was better than Kerouac’s life, but that shouldn’t make her value his life more than hers. No matter how much he thought about it, he didn’t do anything good enough to exchange her life for.