Chapter 57 - Be careful when signing

“Elliot. From what I’ve heard, you seem to be going to and from the library a lot.”

“Ah…… Yes…….”

At Liddell’s attention, Elliot pretended to be pitiful, raised her eyebrows and nodded her head slightly, but inside she was happy.

“The main thing you’re looking for is about ‘reinstatement’…….”

“Yes. I think that there is only one way to comfort my parents’ unjust death…… But every night I pray to my parents for an apology because I don’t think there’s any way I can do it on my own.”

“Oh no…… Well. I’m really sorry that I couldn’t take care of Elliot’s situation because I was busy.”

Liddell made a sadder face than Elliot and held Elliot’s hands tightly together. Elliot had a face full of emotion just by that.

“Reinstatement is not really that easy. The royal family cannot intervene recklessly in the punishment imposed by the Duchy of Luave. However, recently, there are many scholars who oppose the system, saying it is outdated. At least, I think we can make sure that Elliot, who is not yet 20, is not dragged back.”

Even with those words, Elliot couldn’t shake her anxiety.

“But the life of a girl who has no title, no property, no spouse, in the Duchy of Luave, could be wiped out without even a noise.”

“That’s why I asked a very distant relative of mine to adopt Miss Elliot.”

“Yes? Adopt……?”

“It is Viscount Lucenwein, who is my grandfather’s cousin brother. He is in his early 50s and unfortunately, he has no children yet. He said that if Elliot became his daughter, he could at least take a son-in-law and carry on the title. What do you think?”

Elliot blinked her eyes and tilted her head to see if this was a good thing or a bad thing. The responsibility to regain the honor of her deceased parents weighed on her heart, but on the one hand, she was delighted with the condition that she would not only be a Baron, but would be the only daughter in a Viscounty family.

“Well, then…… Am I safe?”

“Sure. Baron Fidelia’s daughter is already dead, and Elliot will be Elliot Lucenwein, so what’s the problem? And Viscounty Lucenwein is quite wealthy. If the family had a daughter, men would line up to marry Elliot. Elliot is also quite beautiful.”

In an instant, a bright light appeared on Elliot’s face. These were truly exceptionally good conditions. She no longer has to live in hiding as the daughter of a sinner, she can enjoy everything as a daughter of a wealthy family, and a love affair with a wonderful man will naturally follow.… !

But in the next moment, Elliot realized that this great fortune was unlikely to come for free.

“I….… So, what should I do? Something…… I must repay Miss Liddell for the favor…….”

“Oh! Elliot, what is wrong with you? I do this because I want everyone who is my maid to do well.”

Liddell, who burst into a bright smile as if the sun was breaking, was like an angel of salvation. She gives such great grace without any conditions, and Elliot even thought that there was no human being who was so merciful.

“Instead.”

“Yes?”

Elliot, who was reassured, raised her head.

“It should be revealed that the Luave executed the sentence on the wrong person along with the deceased Baron Fidelia and his wife. It wasn’t Elliot Fidelia that the Duke of Luave killed with the Barony couple, but that it was an innocent stranger who had never joined the Fidelia family. After that, public opinion will arise whether the death of Baron Fidelia and his wife was too much. Wouldn’t it be enough for Baron Fidelia and his wife, who died unfairly, to close their eyes comfortably?”