Word Choice: The Antidote To Vocabulary-Gabriel Arquilvech

Students often think they need build an enormous vocabulary to write well or to sound sophisticated. Although an expansive vocabulary is a plus, far more important is your ability to choose the right words. Most often, the word you're looking for is already in your vocabulary. Take the following example:

-If you're working in the sun all day, jump into the pool. It's great.

Is there a better word than great to describe how it feels to cool off in a pool? What about replacing great with refreshing? Isn't refreshing a more appropriate? Sometimes, one precise word can replace an entire phrase:

-She felt no one was paying any attention to her.
-She felt ignored.

Not only does attention to word choice produce more precise writing, but it also addds flavor by eliminating redundancy. If you're writing a story about a poodle, for example, and you've already said 'poodle' and 'dog' thirteen times in one page, what do you do? How about describing the dog in a new way?

-The poodle barked proudly. The curly canine was afraid of no one!

Of course, you don't want to overdo it. If you write a different description every time you mention the dog, the story would be unreadable.

One way to improve your word choice is to use the thesaurus. This reference book will give you word alternatives. However, never use a word you're not totally comfortable with. (That's so helpful actually. It's really polite advice-Lumna10.)
Don't Change

-Mr. Jones gets angry when the paper is not delivered.

to

-Mr. Jones gets antipathetic when the periodical is not dispatched.

Unless you're going for humor, the second sentence (above) is a mess. So always use words you know well. There are plenty of them available. The trick is wanting to find them!

WRITING PROMPT below:
1. Rewrite the following paragraph. Replace the inexact words with precise ones; eliminate redundancy by adding new descriptions. Feel free to use a thesaurus for reference.

Example paragraph: My first trip to the amusement park was lots of fun. The rides were exciting and terrific. There were a lot of rides, including roller coasters and other rides that were scary. At first, I didn't want to go on the scariest one. People's faces looked so scared when they went down the hills. Finally, I decided to go on the biggest roller coaster. I was so scared! Most of the time I kept my eyes closed. We went really fast and did lots of turns. When the ride was over I was glad to be back. It was scary but fun.

(exciting could be replaced by thrilling giving it smoother flow, Skylights. -Lumna10)
(Spins rapidly would be words that replace really fast and automatically means something is already doing a lot of turning. Some of you might thinking curving is the right replacement word but actually it just makes the sentence sound immature. Curves and curving should be used in geometry situations or things that describe curvy roads or curvy architecture. Arches of Doorways are always curved.

"The Earth has too many windy roads." complained Stella. "I can drive perfectly well." Season 4 episode 8. Windy is a replacement for curvy in this case's example. (Winx Club Classically Amazing Example quote.) 

You try and pick out the other words that mean scared from the paragraph Gabriel gave us

You try and pick out the other words that mean scared from the paragraph Gabriel gave us. Comment below which ones you can guess off the top of your head before you go to a thesaurus, friends. Hope you enjoyed this chapter and we're taking a break from Hynes' overcomplicated point of views in his lecture writing and I am going to help you with correct word choice in your writing of which Gabriel has 20 more chapters to discuss the last one being talking about Tone of your voice during narration and several of them are also about punctuation specific word choice does actually affect the punctuation and how you do it.
And there are at least 4 of those within this next section. So see you in those lessons, they'll be fun to share and it will be fun to see together how you and me take this advice into account for our writing projects, enjoy. Magic_Pyrix RoyalBunny7 -Lumna10.