Plotting with the Freytag Pyramind Lecture 10

The basic structure of a traditional plot—situation, conflict and resolution. This was first codified by Aristotle in the Poetics, in which he defines the elements that make up a tragic drama. Aristotle was the first to state that a story should have a beginning, a middle, and an end; that the events of the plot should be causally connected and self-contained; and that the ending of the plot particularly should provide both closesure and catharsis. More commonly referenced today than Aristotle is Freytag's pyramid, a diagram of dramatic structure based on Aristotle's theory. In this lecture, we'll look at the pyramid, using the film version of The Wizard of Oz as an example.

According to Freytag's pyramid, the exposition stage of a story sets the scene and introduces the characters

According to Freytag's pyramid, the exposition stage of a story sets the scene and introduces the characters. In The Wizard of Oz, the exposition is everything that happens from the beginning of the film to the tornado:
We meet all the major characters; Dorothy runs away with Toto and meets Professor Marvel; and on her way back to the farm, Dorothy is overtaken by the storm.

With Wizard of Oz example the Freytag Pyramid only applies to the movie. The book is extremely different one we don't have exposition Toto never got in in trouble with an old lady threatening to put him to sleep.

The call to action in the book is the Tornado actually.

And each character Dorothy meets strengthens their own character because she inspired them they get their own atonement—for sacrificing their time and aid to help her cross the country of Oz

And each character Dorothy meets strengthens their own character because she inspired them they get their own atonement—for sacrificing their time and aid to help her cross the country of Oz. Their reward they all get a happy ending satisfying others with their pleasant demeanors and manners in several different regions of Oz.

Next comes the inciting at inciting action, which is the event that introduces the conflict into the plot into story.
This is a bit tricky with the Wizard of Oz because there are two elements within the movie's story that might be called conflict.

One conflict between Dorothy and Miss Gulch because Miss Gulch wants Dorothy's dog put to sleep. This is what causes Dorothy to run away from home, leading to the blow to the head she receives during the tornado. In that sense, we might consider Miss Gulch's threat the inciting moment. (Except this part is strictly movie cannon it wasn't ever written in the actual book plot. —Lumna10.)