Word Choices: Adjectives & Adverbs

Adjectives & Adverbs Lesson
Adjectives and adverbs are perhaps the most popular parts of speech. Adjectives, you remember, describe a noun, while adverbs modify a verb. Although adjectives and adverbs are indispensable, they must be used with care. They should be used only when they count.
Take a look at these sentences:
- A bird was flying in the blue sky.
- A bird was flying in the pink sky.
Now, unless there's a good reason to remind us that the sky is blue, 'blue' should be dropped. 'Pink, however, shows us something distinctive, creating a mood.

Besides unnecessary adjectives, there are also empty adjectives. Which one of these sentences sounds better to you?

The final exam was really hard.
The final exam was unbearable.

Unbearable is far more vivid than really hard.
Another habit, especially among creative writers, is the overuse of adjectives. Too many adjectives will ruin a composition, just as too much salad dressing will spoil a salad. Imagine reading a story that begins like this:

-The tough men rode their dog sleds with determination through the deep snow and freezing cold of the deserted North Pole.

Here's the same sentence with economized language:
-The men rode their dog sleds through the snow and cold of the North Pole.

Do we lose anything in this version? Wouldn't the men have to be tough to be sledding in the North Pole? Wouldn't they have to possess determination? Do we need to be reminded that the snow is deep or that the cold is freezing? These adjectives don't improve the description or add important information. Naturally, if you want to use adjectives in a sentence, you should. What's important is that you decide which ones are necessary.

Adverbs are also used too much. Often, a strong verb can eliminate the need for an adverb.
Here are a few cases:
talk loudly - shout, scream, holler run fast - sprint, dash, race touch gently— caress
hit strongly - punch, smack
cry hard - weep, moan, blubber

Writing Prompt Exercise
1. Each of the following sentences contains either excessive alectives, empty adjectives or weak adverbs. Rewrite the sentences, adding precise adjectives and verbs when needed.

1. The judge spoke quietly to the prosecuting attorney.
2. The movie was great!
3. Swimming joyously, the beautiful, graceful dolphins neared our boat.
4. She's the best swimmer on the team.
5. The monkey held on tightly to the bar.
6. His car is always really dirty.
7. He is a loud-mouthed, obnoxious, offensive fellow.
8. The windy, curvy road is dangerous and scary.
9. He spoke softly; we could barely hear him.
10. That dinner tasted good.

Writing Prompt Exercise
2. Each of the following sentences contains either excessive adjectives, empty adjectives or weak adverbs. Rewrite the sentences, adding precise adjectives and verbs when needed.

The thunderstorm was terrible.
2. The infant cried a lot during her vaccinations.
3. My headache really hurts.
4. The food at the new restaurant is bad.
5. She ran so fast when the wave came towards her.
6. The millionaire is very giving; he donated lots of money to the local hospital.
7. The hikers soon discovered that the trail was really hard.
8. He was so frustrated that he hit the wall over and over again.
9. White clouds floated in the blue sky as the colorful rainbow appeared.
10. She was so mad.

Three Adjectives & Two Adverbs -Practicing Writing Precision In Action Writing Prompt Exercise
3. Here's an assignment that's challenging, fun and frustrating. Write a one page story about anything you like. Only one rule applies: you can use only three adjectives and two adverbs.
When you complete the composition, read it aloud. See if everyone followed the rules! What do you notice about your story? Did you leave much unsaid? Can the reader get a vivid feeling from the writing? Would you have preferred more adjectives and adverbs?

Note: This assignment is not intended to suggest a standard for your writing. Rather, it gives you a chance to sharpen your writing skills by paying attention to word choice. -Gabriel Arquilvech