Misplaced & Dangling Modifiers

Misplaced & Dangling Modifiers Lessons

To modify means "to change," or "to alter." In composition, modifiers are often used to add information and to create sentence variety.

-The dolls in the display are for sale.

In this example, the prepositional phrase in the display tells us more about the dolls. The phrase can be removed from the sentence without making the sentence incomplete. Here's another example:

My cousin, who is ten years old, is coming to visit.
Who is ten years old modifies cousin, but it is not needed to form a complete sentence.
Of course, you don't want too many modifiers. Take a look at this account:
Today, after the sound of the two o'clock bell, the mayor, who had to come all the way from across town, where he had a meeting, will speak about the new taxes, a topic which will, no doubt, create a great deal of fuss among the citizens.

Although this sentence is grammatically correct, it is stringy and ineffective. The abundance of modifiers weakens the description. It would sound much better as two or three sentences.

Misplaced Modifiers

One common and entertaining writing error is the misplaced modifier. Here's an example:
- At the age of seven, my uncle taught me how to ride my bike.
What's wrong with this sentence? Got it? This would have to be a pretty young uncle! This is a simple solution:
- When I was seven, my uncle taught me how to ride my bike.

Here's another example:
- We saw an eagle soaring above the peaks looking through our binoculars.
Either the eagle stole their binoculars, or the sentence has a misplaced modifier! You can correct the sentence by repositioning the modifier:
- Looking though our binoculars, we saw an eagle soaring above the peaks.
Remember that modifiers should be as near as possible to the word they modify. Otherwise, the sentence will be unclear and, quite possibly, rather strange!
Sometimes, modifiers have nothing to describe. These are called dangling modifiers. Here is one example:
- Having played soccer all day, the field looked worn down.
Certainly, the field didn't play soccer all day. But who did? The sentence doesn't tell us.
Here's one solution:
-The field looked worn down after the team played soccer all day.

Writing Exercise Prompt
1. Each of the following sentences contains either a misplaced or dangling modifier. Rewrite the sentences correctly.

1. We saw the ice cream truck bicycling home from school.
2. Broken and old, he sold the car to the dump.
3. After brushing her teeth for the first time, my mom gave my baby sister a kiss.
4. Having landed on the moon, the world was changed.
5. His business partner is a man who owns properties named Ralph.
6. While swinging the bat, the fans cheered.
7. Julian watched the meteor showers camping on the mountain.
8. Leaving for Tennessee, her luggage was left in the taxi.

Writing Exercise Prompt
2. Each of the following sentences contains either a misplaced or dangling modifier. Rewrite the sentences correctly.

1. Between the night stand and the dresser, we should think about putting a bookcase.
2. To join the rehearsals, permission slips must be signed.
3. While running on the beach, the cartwheel made him twist his ankle.
4. Having worked all day, a rest was needed.
5. We saw a frog rowing our canoe across the lake.
6. After getting ready for the play, the curtain wouldn't open.
7. Upset by the bad weather, the tennis tournament was canceled.
8. Dreaming of a werewolf, the yapping of coyotes woke me.

Writing A Soap Opera—Misplaced or Dangling Modifiers Writing Exercise Prompt
3. Using plenty of misplaced and dangling modifiers, write a one page soap opera full of plot twists and romance. The result will provide lots of laughs!
After reading your story aloud, exchange it with a classmate's. Correct all the misplaced and dangling modifiers.