Write The First Draft-Gabriel

Writing Your First Draft Lesson by Gabriel

Now that you've set the groundwork for your story, you're ready to begin the first draft.
It's time to write! This is where the real work begins, for even if you have original characters and a stirring plot, it's the writing that makes the story good.
Before beginning, you might want to review the earlier lessons on style, tone, parallelism, repetition, word choice, and so forth. After all, the demands of writing composition are the same for fiction: You must establish a consistent tone, a definite style and a consistent point of view. Keep the writing concise and rich with details.
In addition to the language itself, you should always be attentive to how you are telling the story. What types of writing will you use? When will you rely on description? Do you want to open with dialogue? When and how will you describe the main character(s)? Have you included enough setting? Here are a few tips for the structure of the story.
• Have a strong, clear opening: You want to interest the reader right away. Don't
"warm up" the story. However, this doesn't mean that the opening has to be sensational.
• Develop the events clearly. Although you know the sequence of events, be sure that the reader does, too.
• Have a clear ending that leaves a strong impression on the reader. This doesn't mean you have to write a "happy" or "sad" ending. In fact, some stories end without the central conflict being resolved.
Now, although writing is very demanding, your first draft should flow freely. The first time through, you want the story to evolve naturally, leaving room for surprises. Don't be too concerned about perfecting the language. That will come during revision, when you're likely to exclude lots of the material.
Note: The only requirement for these five days is that you continue drafting your story.
When you finish the first draft, begin revising. Try to complete a full draft of the story in five days.