Paragraphs-TheBuildingBlocksofComposition

Paragraphs—The Building Blocks of Composition Lesson

Now that you've worked on composing sentences and choosing words, it's time to take the next crucial step: creating paragraphs. A paragraph is a group of sentences relating to a main idea. Unless your sentences are grouped into coherent paragraphs, they lose their effectiveness.

But what makes for good paragraphs? When should you create them? Do they all need to be the same length?
You might be familiar with the model for nonfiction paragraphs. The topic sentence should introduce the main idea while grabbing the reader. This is followed by supporting sentences which develop the main idea by providing details. Finally, a concluding sentence restates the main idea in an interesting way. Let's take a look at a well-structured paragraph.

Our small town, once humble and friendly, has lost its charm. Only a few years ago, I could stroll down Main Street without hearing the sound of traffic. I used to buy all my products from the General Store. Now I have to drive five miles to the Superstore. Worst of all, I have to lock my house in the evening, for fear of criminals. Maybe I'll move elsewhere, to a small town that hasn't been spoiled.
The topic sentence does its job by introducing the main idea. The details support the writer's feeling that his town has "lost its charm." The concluding sentence reinforces the opening thought.

Of course, paragraphs are not isolated units; the disgruntled man in this story could begin packing and then catch a bus to the nearest small town. In that case, the writer must continue to create paragraphs.
Always remember that paragraphs, like sentences, should have variety. Some paragraphs, for example, might be only one sentence long. Like short sentences, these provide punch and emphasis. However, it's important to remember that each paragraph must have its own coherence. Beware of overlapping main ideas in one paragraph.

Writing Exercise Prompt 1.
Find a published essay that you admire. First, explain the paragraph breaks. Try to identify a pattern in the length and emphasis of the paragraphs.
Next, isolate a long paragraph. Can you locate the topic sentence? Is there sentence variety? Would you have written the paragraph differently?

Portrait of A Hero—Paragraphing In Action Writing Exercise Prompt 2.
This is a two-part assignment. First, write a page-long essay about one of your heroes.
Create at least three coherent paragraphs. You might want to address the following questions:
What is this person famous for?
In your opinion, why is this person heroic?
What qualities does this person have that you admire?
What qualities do you share with this person?
On a separate sheet of paper, explain your choice of paragraph breaks.