Parallel Construction

Parallel Construction Lesson

In mathematics, parallel lines (like the ones above) must maintain the same relationship, or distance, to each other. In architecture, a house relying on evenly-spaced columns must have parallel construction. Interestingly, in writing, parallel construction has the same quality of relationship. It means that each item in a list or a series of expressions should have a matching form. Here is an example of parallel construction:

The king raised a family, led an army, and ruled a nation.
Notice that each of the three phrases has similar construction: a verb, article and noun. Although the items don't need to be identical, their general forms must be alike. Here's the same sentence without parallel construction:

-The king raised a family, led an army, and he was very popular.
By reintroducing the subject, the third phrase breaks the established form. This is called faulty parallelism. Although the sentence still makes sense, it is grammatically unsound.

But what is parallelism used for? How can it help refine your writing? First of all, parallelism is an excellent tool for sentence combining. Look at the following sentences.
Notice how the first group can be combined by using parallel construction:

When we visit the city,
I want to go shopping.
I want to eat sushi.
I also want to walk in the park.

- When we visit the city, I want to go shopping, eat sushi, and walk in the park.

Parallelism is linked to repetition; used effectively, it can be both forceful and poetic. Take a look at the opening paragraph of J.R.R. Tolkien's classic, The Hobbit.

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.

The second sentence is a lively example of parallel construction. The repetition of form establishes rhythm and humor while setting us up for the final, strong statement: it was a hobbit-hole.

Before we begin our exercises, let's look at one more example of faulty parallelism. What's wrong with this sentence?

- I had a nightmare about goblins, ballerinas, and the giant ants attacked.

Got it? The first two items are paralle nouns. The third item changes the series by introducing the verb, attacked. Now let's fix the nightmare.
- I had a nightmare about goblins, ballerinas and giant ants.

Writing Exercise Prompt
1. Each of the sentences below contains faulty parallelism. Rewrite them, establishing parallel construction.

1. We need these office supplies: paper, staples, folders, and we need more envelopes.
2. Depending on the distance of the trip, the amount of passengers, and if they departed on time, my relatives should arrive around noon.
3. Jerusalem is an ancient city that has housed Hebrews, Romans, Ottomans, and the British were there.
4. I've looked everywhere-below the refrigerator, the cupboard, and above the oven.
5. Our school received funding because the math scores are improving, the speech team is winning and everyone likes the principal.
6. The desert was beautiful: the wildflowers were blooming, the sky was clear, and I had a fun time on the drive.
7. When I was young, I tried on several images: I was a long-haired hippie, a clean-cut athlete, and I liked to study a lot.
8. This beach-with its warmth, quiet, and lots of space is my favorite place.

Writing Exercise Prompt
2. Each of the sentences below contains faulty parallelism. Rewrite them, establishing parallel construction.

1. Nobody knows my name, my age, or how tall I am.
2. The lizard has black stripes, a short tail, and its tongue is long.
3. Too much leisure breeds laziness, a boring life, and lethargy.
4. She is admired, everyone likes her, and she is bright.
5. The rainstorms come in the winter, spring, and there are summer ones, too.
6. We need the following equipment for our backpacking trip: an ice pick, a first-aid kit, and we have to carry three tents.
7. The kids hid under the sofa, under the bed, and crouching behind the door.
8. The house has tall windows, a long driveway and its gates are antique.

What I Would Do With $1,000,000:
Parallel Construction in Action Writing Exercise Prompt
3. Imagine that you wake up tomorrow morning to find that you've won one million dollars in a sweepstakes! The only catch is that you have to spend it all in one week, and your spending spree must include at east one vacation. Using lots of parallel construction, write at least one page explaining how you would exhaust your riches.

When you're done, exchange your piece with a classmate's. Proofread each other's work, making sure the parallel constructions are accurate.

Writing Exercise Prompt
4.  Using a free reading book as a reference, copy down three passages that use parallel construction.
Below each passage, explain why the author used parallel construction. How does it affect the content? In your opinion, are the parallels effective?