Lessons On Creating Plots For Stories

Gabriel's Lesson or Lecture first below

Now that you've established a main character and a setting, you're ready to devise a plot.
The plot is simply what happens in a story. Although there are many plots, they all share some common elements.
The heart of the plot is the main conflict, or the problem that motivates the action. Many students wonder if they need to have a conflict. The answer is yes! Think about it: Have you ever read a book or seen a movie when nothing goes wrong? When everything goes smoothly? Of course not. The plot is generated by the conflict.
Keep in mind that a main conflict can exist on a number of levels. It can come from within a character, such as a guilty conscience; it can exist between characters, such as a family battle; it can exist between a character and the outside world, such as a struggle for physical
survival.
Most often, this conflict is established early in the story, even in the opening scene. Towards the middle of the plot comes the climax, when the conflict peaks. From then on the story moves towards resolution.
Of course, within the plot and resolution, any number of minor conflicts may arise. As you're writing, your main character will probably experience lots of setbacks. These are the events that enrich the plot, that make the story unique.
Let's take a firsthand look at these plot elements. We'll use "The Wizard of Oz" as our model.
• Main conflict: Dorothy wants to return to Kansas. This conflict propels her journey to Oz.
• Climax: Dorothy destroys the Wicked Witch of the West.
• Resolution: Dorothy clicks her heels together and returns home.
Although "The Wizard of Oz" is rich with lovable characters, humor and adventure, the plot is quite familiar: The main character is lost and journeys home. In fact, almost all plots are recycled. As we said earlier, plots are made interesting by the characters who fulfill them.

Writing Exercise Prompt 1.
Outline the plot of three of your favorite books. Find the main conflict, climax, and resolution.

Writing Exercise Prompt 2.
Many plots come directly from the life of the writer. In a small group, invent plots born of your own life experience. Brainstorm minor events and details including fictitious elements if you like.

Create Your Own Plot

Devise a plot for your main character. Include main conflict, climax, resolution, and plot details.
Note: You might want to leave the resolution of the story undecided. If you would like to do this, clear your decision with your teacher.

For A Story With A Grand Hero Though
The Outline should be more consistent of this chart below in the picture.

This is what my Creative Writing Professor allowed us to use for any of my fictional writing regardless of how main our characters were

This is what my Creative Writing Professor allowed us to use for any of my fictional writing regardless of how main our characters were. Most of the modern Disney movies follow the chart you see up above especially Moana's movie. She fills in the majority of this chart with her own storyline as does Maui. I think this is an easier chart to keep track of plot by compared to such a narrow Freytag Pyramid James Hynes will take about next chapter, Skylights. Enjoy! 22 chapters left to go!—Lumna10