Punctuation: Parentheses & Dashes

Parentheses

Parentheses are popular among beginning writers, whether they know how to apply them or not! Often, however, they are used incorrectly. Students run into two basic problems with parentheses: when to use them and how to use punctuation with them. Let's begin with the first problem.

The function of parentheses is to add additional but less essential information to a sentence or a paragraph. Don't use parentheses if the words in parentheses are important to the meaning of the sentence. If you're not sure, try removing the parentheses and seeing if the meaning remains the same. In this example, parentheses are used wrongly:

The best skier (who went on the trip) is Gus.
Who went on the trip is essential because it modifies the statement The best skier. Otherwise, Gus would be the best skier, period! Now let's look at some correct sentences:
- We watched "Little Women" (the earlier version) last night.
- I woke up at 5:30, but then I realized I could sleep in (it was Sunday).

Hint: I use () to remind my audience when there is something my characters still don't all know. I use it for the effect of irony instead of just adding something boring. C. S. Lewis is seen doing the exact same thing in his Chronicles of Narnia book he talks aside from his characters directly to the readers in () multiple times, Skylights. This is an effective way to add subtle ironies every once in a while, my sweet darlings. —Lumna10.)

Notice that each sentence would be complete without the words in the parentheses; although the information is relevant, it's not necessary.

Parentheses and Punctuation

Study the examples above. Notice that parentheses do not require any additional punctuation around them. Writers often make the mistake of adding commas before and after parentheses. However, if the words enclosed in parentheses need a punctuation mark, it should be applied. Here are a few examples.

- The cartoonist (her name is Debbie, I believe) is starting a new project.
- The sheriff finally arrived (we waited forty minutes!).
- My mom serves vegetables (do we always have to eat them?) every night.

Note how a complete sentence can be included within the parentheses. Also notice that the appropriate punctuation marks are placed within the parentheses. The sentence, meanwhile, carries on with its own natural punctuation.

Dashes
Dashes are similar to parentheses in that they indicate a pause or shift in a sentence. However, unlike parentheses, dashes emphasize what follows. Take a look at this sentence:
"Yes," said the nurse, "you're pregnant—with twins!"
In this example, a surprise statement is introduced by a single dash. Here's another example:

-He came home drunk—it wasn't the first time at midnight.

This sentence includes dashes instead of parentheses because the information is relevant and dramatic.

Note: There should be no spaces between the dash and the word preceding or following it.
Also, unless you're working with a word processor that has a dash, the dash should be typed as two hyphens, like this: – –.

Writing Exercise Prompt
1. Combine each pair of sentences by using either parentheses or dashes. You may need to eliminate words.

1. Our annual vacation to Lake Tahoe was terrific. It was the fourth year in a row.
2. The playoff game was canceled. What a drag.
3. She noticed he wasn't breathing. Thank God she was a doctor.
4. Chewing tobacco is popular in these parts. About 35% of the people do it.
5. The quote you're looking for is fascinating. It's on page 73.
6. The movie went way over budget. We spent an extra 17 million dollars.
7. Lisa is coming to the family party. She's my little sister.
8. I was surprised at his manner after the accident. He was cheerful, lighthearted, and talkative.

Writing Exercise Prompt
2. Combine each pair of sentences by using either parentheses or dashes. You may need to eliminate words.

1. The countdown to liftoff stopped abruptly. How disappointing.
2. My dear friend is coming to visit. She's from Texas.
3. Discuss the passage carefully. It's on page 198.
4. This is your last warning. Next time you'll be grounded.
5. Brian ate too much licorice during the movie. He ate about 13 pieces, I think.
6. Dragons don't exist, but some people feel they once did. I'm talking about dragons like the ones in Chinese mythology.
7. The Declaration of Independence went through many changes before it was signed.
It was signed in 1776.
8. I'm sorry. I didn't know you were fired.

Writing Exercise Prompt
3. C) Using a free reading book as a reference, copy five sentences that use parentheses and three that use a dash(es). Beside each sentence, explain why parentheses or dashes are used.
Now create ten sentences of your own, five using parentheses and five using dashes.
Beside each one, explain why the punctuation mark is used.