Lesson On Line Breaks -Gabriel

Most beginning poets don't consider the importance of line breaks in their work. Line break is a term that stands for where the line ends. In fixed forms such as sonnets, line break is determined by syllable count. In free verse, however, the poet must decide the best place to break the line.

But does line break really matter? How does it affect the meaning of the poem? Study the following versions of the same stanza. Can you see how the different line breaks affect the meaning of each?

I can see the bull staring at me
through the diamond spaces of the fence.

I can see the bull
staring at me through
the diamond spaces
of the fence.
I can see the bull staring
at me
through the diamond spaces of the fence.

Got it? In the first stanza, we don't know where the bull is until the second line. In the second stanza, the information unfolds more slowly, creating tension and suspense. (Also notice how the third line ends with spaces, leaving a wide-open feeling.) The final stanza is rather humorous (or dramatic) when the two words at me have the weight of their own line. Clearly, line breaks affect the meaning of the stanza.

Although being attentive to line break is important, be careful not to become overly concerned. You should always write your poem first, and then consider the line break.

Writing Exercise Prompt
This is a three-part assignment. First, write a free verse poem. Be sure to pay attention to line break. Next, redo the poem with different line breaks. Finally, on a separate sheet of paper, explain how the changes in line breaks affected the meaning of the poem.

Enjoy, Skylights, do enjoy! —Lumna10.