Chapter Fifty-seven

A/n: I know it's been way too long to excuse but I am sorry. I've been bogged down with school, plus had some major confidence issues regarding my writing, which doesn't come close to making up for the enormous length of time you've been waiting but will hopefully give you some sort of explanation. If you're still here and were willing to stick by this book through everything you are a beautiful, amazing human being! And if you didn't ... well, you are too (although I'm not sure how you'll get this message but it's the thought that counts!). I'm going to update this as often as I'm humanly able from now until its completion and, unlike all the times before, I'm absolutely determined it will be true. It's the least I can do! Now, feel free to call me whatever you want in the comments! I love you!!! I hope you enjoy this, long overdue, insight into the lives of Baste and Robbie!

Sabastienne

"Is there anything you can do to slow it?"

The doctor gave me a sad look, "Miss Sloan we don't know what to try."

"Try anything! This is my life doc." I know I sounded desperate. It isn't because I'm scared of death, Sloan's aren't afraid of anything; it's because the thought of leaving Robbie, Charlotte and everyone else behind was becoming increasingly painful. They'd grown on me and I cared about them all as I'd cared for nothing before: they'd become my world. As scary as that revelation was I wasn't prepared to lose it.

Seeing my distress, Dr. Perez leafed through the novel that was my medical record, pausing several times to scan a couple of pages. Upon finding the section he was looking for, he removed a bundle of roughly twenty pages and studied them in detail while I waited, bouncing my leg impatiently. My eyes roamed the office seeking anything of interest, but the room was barren.

Eventually Dr. Perez raised his head, rubbing the bridge of his nose, "There may be a couple of things we can try but I can't promise anything," He held out his hand as though he could physically stop my hopes rising, "we don't know what we're up against. This is a complete stab in the dark Sabastienne and in all likelihood will have no impact. I wouldn't even be trying this if you're-"

"I know," I interrupted.

"You'll have to come in regularly from here on out."

"No promises." I flashed him my winning grin. The doctor chuckled and scribbled down a prescription which he handed me.

"Check back in two weeks," he said.

I saluted, "No problem, doc."

Back at school I spotted Robbie through a window, sitting in class looking distracted. So I opened the door and smiled widely at the middle-aged teacher.

"Mr White needs Robyn in his office immediately." The man looked doubtful and glanced between Robbie and I. "It's urgent."

"My class are currently in the middle of a test."

Robbie was already standing. "I'm finished, sir." She handed him the paper and followed me out of class before he could argue. "You're such a bad influence!" she said once the door was closed.

"You were finished!" I smirked. "And anyway it isn't good to go to class too often, everyone needs to ditch now and again."

"Like I said, bad influence."

"I'm just-"

"Trouble?"

"Awesome!" I finished ignoring her remark completely. We strolled towards the lounge. "What do you wanna do?" I asked, glancing at her sideways.

"Want to get something to eat?"

"Are you asking me out, little Robbie? Because if you are you'll have to try and tone down the romanticism." I teased. She stuck out her tongue.