Chapter Sixty-three

Sabastienne

We were drawing near campus when I asked Cat to pull over somewhere. She acquiesced with little more than an exchanged glance in the rearview mirror, her expression solemn.

"But my bed is calling!" Robyn complained, "Don't stop!"

"There's something you have to know."

She became rigid and clenched her seatbelt in both hands, her skin turning white under the pressure, "Oh no, I'm being sent to an asylum!"

"No, you're not."

"You can be honest," she turned her face away, grimacing, "I can take it."

"You're not going to an asylum, I promise."

Robyn eyed me then released her grip, "That's a relief!"

"They still have those things?" Charlotte asked.

Robyn nodded, "They aren't called asylums nowadays for obvious reasons but still exist as 'mental institutes' or 'psychiatric hospitals'. They disguise them as schools for the gifted or monasteries so local people don't go crazy," she snorted at her own pun.

Nika cocked her head to the side, "Are you making this up?"

Robbie shrugged but grinned, "It sounds kind of plausible, right? It might be true."

"Do you just invent things when you talk to people?"

"If I think I can get away with it."

"Truly insane," Nika breathed, leaning towards her through the gap between the front seats, "are you a compulsive liar?"

"Nope," Robyn replied nonchalantly, staring her down.

Dominika frowned, "If you were, would you lie about it?"

"Of course not," she smirked. Nika scrutinised her expression.

I shoved my head between them, "We're getting off topic!"

"It isn't a very nice topic anyway," Cat said and I tried to push her but Nika caught my arm and shook her head. I glowered. Was this what betrayal felt like? "What?" Cat acted innocent, "it isn't!"

"What isn't? Why do you all know what's happening?" A muscle feathered in Robyn's jaw as she glared between us. "Tell me what's wrong." No one spoke for a second and Robyn became more agitated. "If it concerns me I don't see why everyone but me knows. Stop treating me like a baby because of one stupid incident!"

"It isn't Charlotte or I's place to say," said Nika, all traces of playfulness gone.

I ran a hand through my hair, "I wasn't treating you like a baby; I didn't want to hurt you ... isn't that normal? No one wants to upset someone they love and you've already been through so much these past few days."

"Tell me," Robyn repeated in a hoarse whisper.

So I told her and then there was a horrible silence. The words seemed to hang in the air above her and we watched as each one settled on her shoulders and she shrank a little more.

"Shit," she said. She gave a little laugh, her breathing loud, "At least people will leave me alone now." She gripped her shirt tight in her hands, balling the fabric up until it looked ready to split at the seams. "Can we get it blocked? I don't want to see it," she shuddered.

Cat said, "There've been people reporting it so the guy that uploaded it had to take it down. Apparently the Principal suspended him as well but that's probably a rumour."