Chaprer Forty-nine

Robyn

I got back to school late that night. My dad and I had talked through everything and he had been understanding and supportive, how he'd always been. I felt much better now and was ready to face Sabastienne and Charlotte again. I hoped.

I entered Sabby and I's room. She was sitting on her bed, staring at the opposite wall blankly. When she looked at me I felt my stomach flip. Something was wrong.

She wasn't smiling, the way she always did when she saw me. That might seem like nothing but to me it was huge. It spoke volumes.

"Hey."

"Hey," she replied.

"What's wrong?" I asked, hoping I was worried about nothing.

There was a silence that hurt my ears, then, "break up with me."

"What!? Why!?"

"Just do it," she offered no explanation.

"Not without a reason Sabby."

"I fucked someone else." I felt my heart break. Literally felt it shatter into pieces. Tears were forming in my eyes but I held them back. "And don't call me Sabby, I only allowed you because I wanted to fuck you."

"O-okay," I drew in a shaky breath and steeled myself. "Why? We can sort this out, Sabastienne."

She stared at me silently.

"Can't you tell when someone wants fucking rid of you?" She asked. Her tone was so harsh I flinched and stepped back. The tears fell now, hot and wet on my cheeks.

"Y-you want rid of me?"

"Yes," she didn't meet my eyes. I knew she was lying. That wasn't the reason. Why was she lying to me? What the fuck was going on?

"Is this because you think you aren't good enough again?" I snapped, "because I already told you, you're a million times better than anyone else I know!"

"It's not about that."

"Then what!? Tell me, please."

"Break up with me." I bit my lip so hard I could taste blood but the pain was a welcome relief.

"No!" I growled, "whatever it is we can deal with it, together. I don't care what you think is wrong with you or whatever the issue is, I don't care! I just want you, no matter what that means." I was begging, desperate. I knew my life would be empty without her. This couldn't be happening. What the fuck was going on?

She remained unmoving, insisting I break up with her, shooting down all my arguments. Finally I was too upset to continue.

"Break up with me," she said and I wiped my eyes roughly.

"Do it yourself." At least have the courtesy to do that.

"Fine. We're over Robyn."

I felt like a bomb had gone off inside of me. I never, ever in a million years thought she would say it. I felt a flood of pain washing through my body, closely followed by a keen, gnawing sense of loss.

I sobbed uncontrollably, my pain only becoming worse every time I saw her blank face. I couldn't stay there with her any longer.

I ran out the door and straight to Zoey's room. Only my best friend would know how to comfort me right now.

**************

Sabastienne

She ran from the room, her face twisted with distress. I'd caused her pain. So much pain. And it hurt me, more than it did her to do so.

It had to be done. She would only be hurt more if I had let this go on. She would get over me quickly, I was sure. She would be alright again soon. I knew it.

***********

Robyn

Zoey held me tightly against her chest and stroked my hair while I cried. I couldn't explain what had happened, my uncontrollable shaking preventing words from being distinguished. She knew it was bad and I'm pretty sure she suspected Sabby. No, it was Sabastienne now.

I cried and cried. Eventually I ran out of tears but that only made things worse. Now I had no outlet for the intense misery I felt.

I knew what I needed right now. I couldn't, not with Zoey here. Charlotte was out, where I didn't care. I would've hated her to see me like this. She'd probably be happy when she found out, knowing Sabby was now up for grabs.

Fuck! How could I still get jealous over her when she'd just ruined my life!? I suppose feelings can't be turned off. Worse luck.

I curled up in Zoey's arms, blocking everything out. She'd had a comedy channel on TV when I ran in like a mad woman and it was still playing. I watched it silently over her shoulder and let the mindless, stupid jokes distract me from everything else.

I fell asleep like that and dreamed of Sabb-astiene