Chapter Fifty-three

Robyn

When Sabastienne finally appeared in our room that night I pretended to be asleep. I didn't want any forced awkward conversations. It broke my heart that we couldn't even talk any more. I missed her, I missed our relationship so much. I hadn't even been given a reason. Not one that was real. Didn't she respect me enough to give me that?

I watched her as she got changed to sleep, remembering when she didn't need to because I'd already have removed all her clothes for her.

Tears spurted from my eyes and hit the pillow, my hands clenched into fists as I tried not to make a sound. A damp patch was rapidly forming on the linen beside my eyes but I didn't care. My tears came faster and faster like I was going to drown, my hand over my mouth to muffle my sobs.

Then, in a flash, the tears vanished. I felt calm and strangely peaceful. I wondered what was going on but didn't linger, not wanting to risk going back to the pain. I knew what I has to do. If she didn't want me after this I might as well be dead.

***

The next morning I woke, feeling the same calmness, ready to put my plan into action.

I got myself ready for my first class, then smiled at Sabastienne as I left. Looking at her made my heart beat fast and the pain returned but before my third class I'd gotten myself back together.

I was starting to wonder if I should even bother. She clearly didn't want me, why should I care? I'd get over her soon enough and she had the pick of everyone else in the school. My brain scoffed at me getting over her and my fists clenched tightly at the idea of her with anyone else. She drove me crazy and not in a good way. I hated everyone who liked her in any way more than friendship. She was mine and they should fuck off.

Was.

At lunch I say silently, glancing at my food and pushing it away, feeling sick. I stared down at the ground and ignored everything around me.

"Robyn!" Zoey shook my shoulder roughly and my eyes flicked to her for a second. "I asked how you're doing."

I stared at her then looked back at the ground.

"You should eat something," Charlotte said, glancing at me from where she sat with Dominika.

I looked at the two of them pressed up together and felt ill. Even though I knew it wasn't Sabastienne I couldn't shake the awful feeling that it was. I looked at my food again, then stood and walked away.

People whispered to each other as I passed but I barely heard it. I was too lost in my own thoughts, at least it wasn't the pain.

A blonde haired girl stepped in front of me and placed a hand gently on my arm.

"Are you okay?" I looked at her, hardly seeing her and didn't reply. "I heard what happened, I think everyone heard. I know it doesn't mean anything but I'm sorry you were hurt like that. I know how that feels." She looked like she was about to cry and my stomach flipped.

"Don't cry," I whispered, touching her cheek with my thumb. "You'll make me cry too."

"I-I'm sorry," she picked at her fingernail for a while then let out a sigh and smiled at me. She was stunning when she did that. "If there's anything I can do to help let me know. I know I don't know you, or you I but we could be friends." She smiled again and I felt myself warm to this pretty little thing.

"What's your name?"

"I'm Daniela. And I already know your name." She laughed and I found myself laughing too. How was it possible for this girl to make me smile when I was so broken?