Chapter Sixty-six

Robyn

"You'd better be kidding," said Zoey sternly, " tell me you're not being this stupid."

"I know how it sounds," I tried to placate her, "but I think it'll be great."

"Where are you going to stay? What are you going to tell her parents? How the fuck are you going to cope if everything goes tits up?"

I spoke slowly, "We haven't exactly discussed the particulars but-"

"You're unbelievable." She jumped up and stormed out of the room.

"That could've gone better," I commented but the walls didn't reply. Why shouldn't I go? I wasn't a child, as I was being forced to declare far too often these days. I was perfectly capable of making my own decisions and everyone trying to tell me what to do was getting really old really fast. If this was a mistake, I'd rather make it than sit at home missing Baste and feeling like shit - and it was my bloody mistake to make. Besides, the only reason Zoey was being an asshole was because she'd had some sort of vendetta against Sabastienne since we broke up. She didn't seem to realise that we were together again and that meant she had to forgive and forget.

I was hunting for suncream when Zoey came crawling back.

"I hope you're offering your support," I said coldly, riffling through my half-filled suitcase, wondering if I'd packed it already.

She flashed a sarcastic smile, "Actually, I'm here to tell you your mom's on her way and she says if you so much as leave this room she'll hunt you down."

I stopped dead, "You called my mother?"

"You'll never listen to me so I had no choice. Anyway, would you really leave for a whole other continent without saying anything to her?"

"Why are you making this such a big deal? It's none of your business."

"Because you're not thinking! You're being an idiot and the Robyn I know would never do something this ridiculous! I have no choice but to make this a big deal, you seem incapable of actually thinking reasonably about anything."

"Cool. By the way, have you got any suncream?"

"What?"

"I can't find mine."

"Is this a joke to you?" To my horror, I saw actual tears welling up in Zoey's eyes. "Is the fact that I care about you really so easy to dismiss?" She seemed to be fighting with herself before blurting out, "Sabastienne isn't the only person who loves you, Robyn, and it would be nice if you ever remembered that." She ran out of the room for the second time that day.

"Oh for fuck's sake," I muttered and took chase.

It was fortunate neither of us was particularly fit because it shortened the running time considerably. The second she'd slowed to a walk, I was beside her, sweating profusely but trying not to let it show. Zoey wasn't doing so peachy herself.

"Asthma," she sputtered.

"Oh," I gasped, "same."

"You don't ... have asthma," she clutched the back of her thighs, doubled over.

I wiped my brow, "Neither do you."

"You don't know my story!"

I grinned and hugged her, not caring that both of us kind of smelled. Okay, not kind of, but I was trying to be polite.

Anyway, we were hugging, both of us; both of us were hugging. Which meant she was reciprocating in said hug. Which also meant she (please, God) wasn't mad anymore!