Be Proud To Be African

So I got a dm from Queen_zaay and she was talking about the ignorance that went on in class when they talked about Africa. The teacher said we all
Have some roots to Africa and the students proceeded to make jokes like "ewwwww who wants to be from there?" And her being Nigerian she was very hurt by this. And it started to make her question her own value and worth.

I have to say I have encountered people like this before. We have been so brain washed to believe that Africa is a place of savages and grass huts. That nothing great has ever came from there. All of which is lies.

I am not very well versed about current African culture, but I must say being a fan of Jidenna has just opened my eyes to so much. His love for his home country Nigeria and love for the continent of Africa as a whole has opened my mind to the beauty and strength of their culture heritage.

His whole entire image and set is a salute to his home country and Africa as a whole. Almost Every suit he wears his tie and handkerchief is of Anka Print, his DJ is from Ghana and Nana (that's his DJ) kills this dance called the Azonto at the end of every show which Chris Brown actually does sometimes. He does the perfect Nigerian accent and he also speaks the language. I believe Igbo that's what he is. And he always talks about how being Nigerian nothing short of excellent is required of you.

I'm saying all this to say, not just for my Africans reading this book, but African-Americans as well, be proud that you come from a place that's so rich in culture and history that it gave birth to the entire world!!!!

I can only say so much, so I'm going to post the same interview I sent babygirl of Jidenna talking about how proud he is to be Nigerian and how influential Africa is to hip-hop and the world period.

Hope it makes you guys proud too!!!

-----------------

Interview From True AFrica --

'Hey, but, ask me that question about Nigerian stereotypes.' We're running short on time before Jidenna has to go on stage. During a break to adjust the lighting, he lets me know the one question we can't cut.

We're sitting in DC's historic Howard Theatre, an important stop along Wondaland's national Eephus tour. He and Janelle Monáe led a demonstration earlier that day at DC's U.S. Department of Justice. Humbly, Jidenna tells me how grateful he was to learn that some mothers of the victims of police terror, who marched with him earlier that day, will be attending tonight's concert.

For Jidenna, heritage, art and activism have always overlapped. So, when we're pressed for time before he performs songs like, Knickers and Long Live the Chief, I'm not surprised he doesn't want to miss the opportunity to big up the nation he calls 'his heart'.

In this in-depth and intimate interview, Jidenna explains why African rhythms and styles are foundational to hip hop and 'Swank'.  He also shares why he aspires to be inducted as a chief in his village and make the chieftain way of life common in the United States.

If we're going to talk about what makes Jidenna, Jidenna, then we have to talk about your African heritage. What does it mean to you?

Africa is of tantamount importance. Coming from Africa and specifically from Nigeria, the foundation of me as a boy was resourcefulness, resilience, excellence, hospitality –  these are common themes in Nigeria.

It's important to understand where you're from so you know where you're going.

What do you think is one of the greatest misconceptions about Nigeria?