#001 Bulbasaur

#001 Bulbasaur – Rewritten at 01/09/16

Bulbasaur, the Seed Pokémon. The grass-type starter of the Kanto region, raised by Breeders to be distributed to new trainers. Through selective breeding and having been domesticated from birth, Bulbasaur is regarded as both a rare and well-behaved Pokémon. It is known to be extremely loyal, even after long-term abandonment. Bulbasaur has also shown himself to be an excellent caretaker, even having a special technique called "Bulba-by" (reference to a lullaby). To perform this technique, Bulbasaur uses its vines to pick up a young Pokémon and soothingly rocks it in the air.

Bulbasaur can be ground in grasslands and forests throughout the Kanto region. However, due to its status as a starter Pokémon, it is hard to come by in the wild. If one were to find a wild one, it may have a different personality than the domesticated variants. It has been observed that a Bulbasaur's bulb will flash blue when it is ready to evolve. – Nurse Evergreen.

Nurse Isabelle Evergreen had been summoned to Pallet Town, where she would meet with Professor Oak. The local Pokémon Professor was well known and loved in the region, so Isabelle had been overjoyed to receive his email. With her spirits soaring high, she packed her backpack and left for Pallet town. The sun was shining gently and there was a slight breeze. It was a really pleasant day in September. Most young trainers chose their starter this month and set out on the path of independence. It seemed only fitting that Isabelle could start her journey this month as well.

When Pallet town was merely an hour of walking away, Izzy pulled out her phone and dialled the number she'd been given.

"Good day, Professor. This is Nurse Isabelle Evergreen. I'm calling about your summons; you see, I'll be there in an hour." In her eagerness to sound professional, the 19-year-old's voice trembled.

"Excellent! I suppose this is as good a time as any to explain what's going on, hm? As you know, the starters are chosen this month. The three from around Pallet have already visited a few days ago and taken theirs on their journey around the region. However, one girl has not shown up and Bulbasaur was not chosen. He's been acting strange since. I've been unable to get him to eat. That's why I called you. You've recently graduated as a nurse, right?"

"Yes sir. I'm honoured to be working with you!"

Professor Oak laughed. "I'm sure you are. Since you wish to travel the region as well, as a nurse, not as a trainer seeking to challenge the gyms, your mentor and I found it fitting to have this as your first case. Now, be swift. I haven't got all day!" Oak's smile was audible in his voice.

Pallet town was a lovely, little town. Having grown up in the big city herself, Isabelle loved the activity that came with it. But even she could not deny the charms of small-town living. Oak's laboratory laid on top of the hill, surrounded by endless fields where the Pokémon he researched lived.

Upon reaching the tall, wooden house, Isabelle knocked gently, but no one answered. Izzy knocked again. The booming sound echoed through the hallway beyond but still no answer. The door, however, swung open at such violence.

"Hello?" Isabelle called out. "Folk! It's me, Isabelle!" Only silence greeted her. Sighing, she headed inside, accidentally bumping her backpack against the doorpost as she turned around to close the door. Wandering carefully through the hallway, Izzy found a glass door leading to the greenhouse. Just inside, a Bulbasaur laid on his stomach with his eyes tightly shut, pretending to be asleep in the sun. Carefully, Isabelle slid the glass door open and sat on the floor, dangling her feet outside in the greenhouse. Her white trousers suddenly felt too restricting in the warm air of the temperature-controlled glass house. Still, she had other matters to attend to.

"Hello, Bulbasaur," she told the grass-type lying nearby. There came no reply, but she did not expect him to, either. Izzy paused a moment to see how dry his bulb looked. He wasn't in the best of health.

"Shall I tell you a story? This place reminds me of it. When I was younger, I used to have a few close friends. We were a funny, little group. Me, the daughter of a Pokémon Nurse; Erika, the daughter of the local Gymleader; and ... what was her name?" Isabelle stayed silent for a moment, thoughtfully, and then laughed. "I honestly can't remember. Anyway, she was the daughter of someone who'd won the Indigo League, I believe. That Kanto battle tournament. We were really close. Despite our differences, we did everything together. I hope you have ever felt, or will ever feel that for yourself. It's one of the best feelings in the world, to have such a tight group."

Bulbasaur let out a hoarse croak; he was too well-mannered to ignore someone for a long time.

"Less than ten years ago, we separated. One of them accepted her starter from the Pokémon centre, set out on her journey, and forgot to write back. The other, Erika, was now old enough to learn how a gym was being run and was always busy there. And I? I finished the Trainer's school and then went to Nursing school. It really hurt to lose them, but you know what they say? Just keep on going."

A light weight on Isabelle's leg made her look over. Bulbasaur had gotten up and rested his head on her thigh. Izzy smiled fondly and stroked his head.

"I know how you feel. You were close to the other starters, weren't you? That is no reason to stop eating though, Bulba. Come on," she patted her lap and helped the bulky grass-type up on her lap. She did not care his muddy paws could give her grass-stains. Isabelle wrapped her arms around him, clasping them underneath his bulb and looked at him, nose to nose. She made sure she had eye-contact with his red eyes.

"I'm starting my journey today. The major towns have Pokémon Centres, but there still isn't enough healthcare available for any and every Pokémon out there. In the Orange Islands, a Joy canoes between several islands. I want to be like her, but here on the mainland. I'll become one of the first travelling nurses. But you know what they say, it isn't safe to go alone. So, my little Bulbasaur, will you come with me and be my starter?"

This request was received with an ecstatic cry and a rough lick of his dried-out tongue. Only then did Professor Oak show up with lemonade, sandwiches, and Pokémon food. Bulbasaur leaped ungracefully off her lap and devoured the food as if he hadn't eaten in days, which was probably true. The nutrients in his bulb had sustained him, though.

Professor Oak had a little gift for her: it was her very own Pokédex. He explained she'd see many Pokémon during her travels and expressed his wish she recorded their data. The device did most of the work. All she had to do was scan them and possibly add some extra data if an anomaly was to be found.

Filled with lunch and re-energised, Isabelle and Bulbasaur set out on their journey. Izzy promised to keep him updated with emails on what she found out there in Kanto. They waved until Oak went back inside and then turned around to face the open world that laid in front of them. Time to start an adventure.