#124 Jynx

Jynx, the Human Shape Pokémon. Jynx has a language with several cry patterns that sounds similar to human speech. However, this language has yet to be deciphered. It prefers to communicate by using dance-like movements. These rhythmic movements often cause people to dance along with it. It puts its enemies to sleep using its signature move, Lovely Kiss. Jynx often is found in urban areas.

Dominic Whitewater did not like the big city. Having grown up in a small town near the Johto Safari Zone, rural life was what he was used to and preferred. In Celadon City, there were people everywhere. They were talking loudly and bumping into each other without apologising. He could not linger to get annoyed with city life, however. He had things to buy! In one store, he'd purchased chocolates and wine. The clerk assured him these could not go wrong. At another, this one a small stall on one of the many markets Celadon had (seriously, how many markets could a city need?) he picked up a bouquet of flowers. There were lilies and roses and other flowers that looked pretty. He wasn't that well-versed in the names of all these flowers. He knew which plants were poisonous, which was much more useful to know.

Pretending his hands weren't trembling, he approached a very neat, little house in one of the suburbs of Celadon, on the side of the Celadon Gym and the major Pokémon Centre. It looked very picturesque with its light grey walls and white accents, such as the doors, the windows, and the wood of the porch. There were flower beds where one would expect them, filled with small flowers that were blooming enthusiastically. A small bronze plate at the door told him this house belonged to "The Evergreens". This house was very daunting in its perfection. Yet still, Dominic knocked on the door.

A Jynx in an apron opened the door, which surprised Dom for a moment. He was not aware a Jynx would be here. But the blonde Pokémon urged him in, excitedly. Not allowing the ranger to dawdle, he was shoved into the living room. All Dominic could take in was the ash wooden floor and the navy walls before a voice spoke.

"So, you're Dominic."

Standing in front of the armchair near the bookcase stood a woman. She held her head high, standing to her fullest height despite being not as tall as Dominic was. Her face had been gorgeous once, but age had caught up with her. She looked older than his own mother's forty-one years. Her once-blond was now streaked with grey, dulled to an ashy blonde, unlike her daughter's golden colour. Her eyes were the same colour of green, however. Said eyes were also fixated on Dominic, keen like a Fearow's.

"Yes, ma'am. I brought you some gifts." Now he felt stupid. Luckily, he was saved by his gorgeous girlfriend coming down the stairs. Her hair was loose from the braid, curling prettily over her shoulders as if she'd spent quite a lot of time on it. She had exchanged her normal outfit for a knee-length, flowery dress and shoes that reminded him of those ballet dancers wore. She looked stunning. His stomach made a leap that had nothing to do with the predatory look the elder Nurse Evergreen gave him.

Jynx was in charge of making dinner, so Dominic was stuck feeding Elenor's many Pokémon while Isabelle set the table up. Mrs Evergreen had surprisingly many Pokémon. There were two Meowth, a Vulpix, four Rattata, and a Pidgey. All looked to be younger than a year old. The trick was to feed them in such a manner that they would not fight each other over it. This obviously was a test to see how good he was with Pokémon. Luckily for him, this test was easy. The Meowth was kept away from the Rattata and the Pidgey and fed first. There were no fights whatsoever and nobody threw up from having eaten too much.

During dinner, they talked about Izzy's journeys and Dom's job. Dominic spoke proudly of Hal, his brother, and touched lightly upon his family situation. He had to talk about his team of Pokémon, Both Isabelle and Dominic sat rigidly at the table, feeling entirely uncomfortable, but they managed to survive the night. Under the watchful eye of Elenor, he hugged her on the doorstep on his way out.

"You were great," she whispered.

"I'm just happy I survived," he whispered back, finally giving her his usual, confident grin back. He kissed her forehead, which smelled vaguely like lavender, and left Isabelle on her mother's doorstep. Izzy and Jynx waved at him until he turned around and briskly, yet not too fast, walked away.