#007 Squirtle

Squirtle, the Tiny Turtle Pokémon. Squirtle's shell is a useful tool. It can withdraw into the shell for protection or for sleeping, and its grooved, rounded shape helps to reduce water resistance when this Pokémon swims. Squirtle can spray foamy water from its mouth with great accuracy. Squirtle is scarce in the wild, although it can be found around small ponds and lakes. It can be found living on secluded islands with other members of its evolutionary line.

Pokémon could get lonely and depressed when they were always stuck in their Poké Balls, so whenever Nurse Isabelle had the opportunity to let her Pokémon wander around, she took it with open arms. Today, they were at a lake. At one part of the lake a river came crashing down quite roughly, the source was in a massive mountain, suggesting the riverbed was filled with rocks. After Bulbasaur had drunk his fill, they walked next to the little river, following it upstream. The sound of rushing water on such a clear day was relaxing for once. Being a nurse was quite hectic.

Upstream, Isabelle found a highly adorable scene. A group of Squirtle were playing in the rough water. They started at a relatively calm spot and let themselves be pulled by the current as they laid on their shells. Judging from their happy cries, they were having a jolly good time. It made Isabelle smile as she watched them from a bit further away. One of the Squirtle was smaller than the rest. Maybe it was younger, or just tinier in general. The currents especially loved that one, because that Squirtle was swung around the most. It actually worried Isabelle a little.

Izzy absolutely hated it when her gut feeling turned out to be correct. At the tiny Squirtle's next run, a current smashed it against a rock. Two sounds could be heard and neither of them were pleasant: A sickening crack and a pained cry. Floating the rest of the course on its back, the little turtle Pokémon did not enjoy it anymore as it kept crying out in pain. The sound broke her heart. Instincts kicking in, Isabelle dashed to the waterside to rescue the Squirtle who, probably from the pain, was unable to flip over anymore or do anything else, other than cry.

With a mighty leap, Isabelle sprang into the brisk river to get to the Squirtle. Within seconds, even her hair was wet even though she had kept her head above water. The current was stronger than she had expected, but she did not care about it right now. All that mattered was the tiny turtle that needed her help.

Bulbasaur proved himself to be a Pokémon worthy of being a nurse's companion. As soon as Isabelle reached the Squirtle and wrapped her arms around it, he wrapped his Vine Whip around her waist and pulled her back out of the water to prevent her from drowning or being swept away over the rocks.

Crawling back ashore, she smiled at her Grass type, rubbing his head as she kept the whimpering Squirtle against her chest. She had to hold it carefully because her shell was broken. Up close, Isabelle could tell this Squirtle was a female and just generally smaller. She seemed to be just as old as the other Squirtle.

With an injury like this, Squirtle would need to be taken care of for a long time. So Isabelle turned to the other Squirtle and told them she would go to the nearest town with their friend to have her treated at the Pokécentre. Then, soaking wet, Isabelle marched off to get this Squirtle some help as soon as possible. Luckily the Pokécentre, and a shower, wasn't more than a fifteen-minute walk away.

"The things I do for you Pokémon," Isabelle muttered, wiping her wet, blond hair out of her face.