#060 Poliwag

#060 Poliwag

Poliwag, the Tadpole Pokémon. Poliwag has a very thin skin. It is possible to see the Pokémon's spiral innards right through the skin. Despite its thinness, however, the skin is also very flexible. Even sharp fangs bounce right off it.

Nurse Isabelle was travelling from one city to the next, as she usually did in between jobs. Spring was finally beginning properly and with it the Pokémon behaved differently. Metapod evolved into Butterfree. Unfortunately, the Kakuna evolved, too. Speaking of Butterfree and Beedrill, it was remarkable how trainer's influence changed these Pokémon. Normally, wild Beedrill and Butterfree did not survive the winter. They lay Caterpie and Weedle eggs and pass away during the cold months. However, captured Butterfree and Beedrill could live up to five years. Maybe because of their training, maybe because of the protected environment of the Pokéball. Either way, it was remarkable.

Wearing some capris and three quarter shirt, Isabelle had begun wearing her clothes more freely. When she started, last September, she'd worn her 'uniform' every single day, believing she would not be recognised without. However, people seem to know about her by now and her identification worked as well.

Passing through an area with a lot of ponds and lakes, Isabelle stopped at one, surprised. There, in the middle of a pond, stood her good friend Wendy Foxglove. She had her trousers rolled up to her thighs and was searching the bottom of the pond for something. On dry land, just at water's edge, her Wigglytuff was collecting weeds from a Poliwag who gave them to her. Judging from the stack nearby, they'd been busy for a while.

"Hey! Wendy! What are you doing?" Isabelle called out.

The girl with the sandy hair stood upright again, stretched her back, and waved excitedly at Izzy before coming her way. In light clothing like that, Isabelle was pleased to see Wendy had lost the bit of chubbiness she had had when they were sixteen.

"I'm harvesting salveyo weed. The Vileplume are walking around again now that the weather is nice, and salveyo weed tea is one of the best cures for it. I promised to get some in exchange for a good meal and some herbal medicine for my bag." Wendy pointed to her own medical bag, which was covered in Meowth and Persian, near Wigglytuff.

"Oh, that sounds really nice. I'll help. Shall I get Ivysaur and get my own stack or shall we just share?" As Isabelle spoke, more Poliwag came to the surface of the pond.

"Are you kidding? We'll share, of course, but don't slack off," Wendy said, causing both of them to laugh.

Soon, they were wading through the pond up to their knees, picking the weed and giving it to Poliwag who brought it to Wigglytuff. As they worked, Isabelle complimented her on Wiggly's (for that was her name) gentle and helpful behaviour. They've been known to be rather temperamental, but this one was absolutely adorable. But then again, like trainer like Pokémon. Wendy was very mild herself.

By the time the sun went down, both had their arms entirely full of the moist weed. Wigglytuff was resting in her Pokéball, which she entirely deserved. The herbal medicine lady was absolutely delighted with so much of the weeds, explaining her body could not endure the labour anymore.

Sitting outside, enjoying one of the best meals Isabelle had ever had, she caught up with her friend Wendy while nursing a glass of white wine, laughing as they brought up good memories. Venomoth fluttered by as they talked. After dessert, the old lady came back with two stacks of medicine. Loads of berries were included and also other pills and potions. Isabelle actually recognised a lot of this as the herbal form of centre medicine. They thanked the lady, who bowed to them in gratitude, and then went their separate ways after hugging each other tightly and promising to call.