#080 Slowbro

Slowbro, the Hermit Crab Pokémon. The evolved form of Slowpoke. Slowbro's tail has a Shellder firmly attached with a bite. As a result, the tail can't be used for fishing anymore. This causes Slowbro to grudgingly swim and catch prey instead.

The Vermillion Pokémon centre, which Nurse Isabelle worked at for a little while, had a new care unit. Until a replacement nurse arrived, Izzy agreed to work there, for which the centre was very grateful. This new enclosure was for abandoned Pokémon, where, after they had recovered from any physical illnesses, they would be taught to trust humans and Pokémon again. So mental issues was the primary focus here.

All kinds of Pokémon came here. If a trainer dumped their Water Pokémon in the sea, for example, they came here via Vermillion harbour. Having been with a human too long, they could not join their wild kin anymore, so they sought out humans in the harbour.

The treatment centre was a separate building of the Pokémon centre, less in view of travellers. Pokémon would first have to go through the main building anyway, before being placed in the mental unit. Most Pokémon that arrived did not have pokeballs anymore, so they had to be accommodated in a different manner. There were huge tanks for the Water types, and fenced off areas for the other types. Stray Pokémon sometimes showed up as well, drawn by food left outside for just such an occasion, who were also fed and treated there.

Most Pokémon responded well to this treatment. Many were deemed ready for either release or adoption rather soon after arrival. Ivysaur helped too, talking to some downhearted Oddish. Ivy loved his human a lot, and Izzy hoped he could convince the Oddish that not all humans were bad.

On her second day, a Slowbro was brought in. This massive, pink Water-type was a very tricky case. He liked Izzy well enough, but even after a week, he did not respond at all to other trainers. It did not help that he took an especially long time to respond to anything. Isabelle could have sworn it had taken him five minutes this morning to even realise she had entered the unit.

Sitting with one of the Oddish in her lap, taking a break, Izzy noticed a woman standing in the doorway. To greet her, the young nurse stood up, causing Slowbro to hug her leg, which he occasionally did as she was about to leave for the day. Normally, Slowbro were almost as tall as she was, but this one was extraordinarily tiny, about Slowpoke size. No one really knew why, but it made it easier to handle, Izzy thought.

The woman at the door had a Slowbro of her own, who called out to Izzy's one. Over and over, they called "Sloooow" at each other, in some sort of slow form of communication. Leaving them to it, Isabelle extended her hand to the lady.

"Good day. I'm Nurse Isabelle. And who might you be?"

"My name is Lorelei of the Elite Four. I've come to check out Vermillion's answer to the great number of abandonment cases over the years. I had not expected to find the rumoured Travelling Nurse here."

Isabelle gave a soft smile. "I'm staying here for a small while. I've been here since coming back from Cinnabar, while I work here and, soon, at Vermillion Gym too. What brought you here?"

The lady with the red hair and spectacles sighed for a moment, looking at the unsure Oddish in Izzy's arms, giving it a little rub over the head. "We, as the Elite Four, are trying our best to be the good example for Pokémon trainers in the entire region. You'd never see us abuse our Pokémon. Yet people still do it, and it makes me so mad!" Her voice became frighteningly sharp as her eyes narrowed behind her spectacles. Isabelle nodded quickly.

"I've recently seen a guy drown a box of Growlithe puppies. I was too late for them, but I have been able to rescue the Abra from the Celadon Game Corner."

"That was you?"

Isabelle nodded. "Yeah. I stumbled upon them entirely accidentally, but I managed to warn the police and the caretaker was arrested." She took a step back as Lorelei shed her cool exterior to become somewhat like a Charizard with her burning eyes and fiery hair. "S-So, I'd love to help you guys with your cause. I'll do what I can. Okay?" She held out her hand.

Lorelei shook it, gripping it painfully tight. "Deal. We'll get those who harm Pokémon and make them pay!"

Lorelei scared Isabelle, very much so.