#084 Doduo

Doduo, the Twin Bird Pokémon. Doduo's two heads never sleep at the same time. Its two heads take turns sleeping, so one head can always keep watch for enemies while the other one sleeps.

It was a pleasant, summery day. The sun was shining brightly and the slight breath of wind prevented it from feeling too hot. While the grass might be starting to dry out a little, most of nature was still brilliantly green. Grateful of the wonderful setting, Nurse Isabelle had returned to one of the places she found most peaceful: Professor Oak's laboratory. There was something about the endless pastures of Pokémon that made Izzy really happy.

Near her, a guy around her age was running with a wide grin on his face. His brown hair shone with a reddish glint in the sunlight. At first, Isabelle was startled, wondering what he was running away from, but then she saw a Doduo chasing him, calling out to the guy in tandem with both heads.

"Excuse me!" Isabelle called out to him. The guy came to a stop in front of her, bending over and panting hard. From the sweat on his brow, Isabelle assumed he'd been running for a while now.

"Hey there. I remember you!"

"Do you?" Isabelle tilted her head, looking at the guy pensively. There was something familiar about him...

"You checked out my Blastoise, and also Charmeleon! She was, at that time, new to the team. She's a Charizard now, and still very close to my Blastoise."

"Gary Oak!"

Gary grinned. "Yep, that's me. And this is my Doduo. He'd been bored so I'm running with him while I'm here for gramps."

Together, they walked to the laboratory. They talked about how Charmeleon, now Charizard, was doing and generally of Pokémon. While Gary went inside to get his grandfather, tea, and sandwiches, Isabelle released her Pokémon. Ivysaur went off, to find his old Ivysaur buddy he hadn't seen since leaving on this adventure with Isabelle. Wartortle headed over to one of the lakes, to enjoy herself and maybe chat with some of the other Water-types. Pidgeot hadn't been able to stretch his wings much and he now took full advantage of that. There were loads of Pidgey and Pidgeotto around, so her bird wasn't lonely either. Ponyta wasn't so sure. Now that Isabelle had begun to feel a little familiar, the horse with the blue fire stayed rather close to the nurse, seemingly nervous in new environments. Ponyta burned her fewer and fewer times every day, so Isabelle could actually hug the horse now to help her feel at ease.

"That's a magnificent Ponyta you have there. Do you mind if I take a look?" An extremely familiar voice said behind her.

"No problem, Professor."

As Oak inspected the horse, Isabelle sat down with Gary to have some tea.

"So, how is he?" Izzy asked.

"Frankly? He's exhausted. I fear his age may be catching up with him."

"He needs help?"

"Yeah. Someone full-time to help him with the Pokémon. He'd be fine if he could focus purely on the research part."

"But your grandfather loves Pokémon."

Gary sighed. "I know, but I fear that he'll get injured with no one around, every day."

"Have you talked to him about it?"

"Countless of times! He just doesn't listen. Pokémon first, he says."

Isabelle smiled wryly. She kind of was the same. Luckily, she was still young. "I'll talk to him."

Bringing the Professor some tea, Isabelle stroked Ponyta over her tense neck. "How is she?"

"Marvellous! I know I checked your research back when you were still merely a teenager, but to see it work out this well is beyond my imagination. Would copper have this influence on all Fire-types, you think?"

"Why are you asking me? You're the Professor! But yes, I do believe so. I've also seen a wild Squirtle on my travels. It was much bigger than the domestic kind we know so well. Oh," Isabelle sighed. "I'd love to be able to study environmental influences on Pokémon. I'm quite sure that River Squirtle and Sea Squirtle are different."

Oak nodded, but groaned as he rose upright, having been checking Ponyta's hooves.

"Professor! Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Isabelle. Don't worry about me."

"Wouldn't it be easier if you had an assistant? Someone with Pokémon knowledge who could do the findings for you and even take care of all of these Pokémon?"

"...That would be kind of ideal. But where to find such a person?"

"I know someone. Let me give you her email address."

When Isabelle left, riding Ponyta in a light canter, she'd left Oak Wendy Foxglove's address. She was quite sure the girl would love the job.