#048 Venonat

Venonat, the insect Pokémon. Venonat is said to have evolved with a coat of thin, stiff hair that covers its entire body for protection. It possesses large eyes that never fail to spot even miniscule prey.

While the business of daytime inspired her to work even harder, Nurse Isabelle preferred night time. She loved the colour of the midnight sky, which was such a deep blue it appeared almost black. Yet the darkness never seemed scary. The pavements, which were always so full with people and Pokémon were now entirely empty, lit by street lights. The world felt so much bigger, yet small within the small, illuminated area.

While most Pokémon have gone to sleep, some others had woken up. Oddish, for example, were now trotting around on their little root-like feet, looking for fresher and better soil to nestle in before morning. Some Pidgey were roosting in the trees overhanging the stone path. This is how she preferred to see Pokémon. All calm in their natural habitat. Not forced to battle by selfish, eager kids, or used for who knows what.

The night wasn't entirely silent, though. Police sirens rang faraway. One of those sirens was coming closer, and soon the source of the sound was visible as well. A figure in blue on a motorcycle. The silhouette of Officer Jenny was unmistakable, even at night.

"Halt! Do you have any idea what time it is? Where are your – oh, hello, Nurse." Jenny commanded at first, only to soften her voice when she finally recognised who she had in front of her.

"Good evening, Officer. As you can see, I am no child up past my bedtime. But what's the hurry, and who have you got with you?" All Isabelle could see was something hairy with antennas on Jenny's bike.

"This is Venonat. He's helping me track down some Pokémon poachers and thieves."

"Oh goodness. Poachers and thieves? Is there any Pokémon these guys do not steal?"

Jenny sighed and nodded. "Yes. It's a real problem. Call me if you see anything, okay? They might try to get you, too."

Isabelle smiled as she laid her hand on Venonat's head, only to pull it back grimacing to find it covered with poison. "Blegh," she muttered as she pulled a paper tissue from her back pocket to wipe off her hand. It was already tingling a little, so she would have to take some medication to be sure. "I didn't know this thing was Poisonous?"

Jenny shrugged. "Secondary. It's mostly Bug type." Isabelle smiled wryly.

"Well, good luck on your search, and I'll call you if I see anything." After that, Isabelle continued walking down the pavement, rubbing her hand which was becoming increasingly numb. "Bloody buggers. And it was such a beautiful night." Looks like Isabelle would have to end her day with an antidote. Not entirely how she planned on finishing her midnight stroll.