#116 Horsea

Horsea, the Dragon Pokémon. It is highly adept in the water, using its dorsal fin to swim in any direction while facing forward. It can use its tail as both a balance and an anchor when caught in a strong current. In safer environments, it uses its tail to play with other members of its species. If Horsea senses danger, it sprays water or dense black ink from its mouth at its attacker. It can shoot ink more precisely at insects flying above the surface of the water. Horsea feeds on insects and moss gathered from rocks. It nests in coral reefs and islands throughout the ocean. Many Eggs are laid every year, and the young are raised by the male Horsea rather than the female.

News of a Pokémon Beauty Contest brought Nurse Isabelle back to Cerulean City. She hadn't been here since she traded for Dewgong, Izzy realised. The city looked as gorgeous as ever. Blooming under the Cerulean Gym's influence, the stores sold many Water-type souvenirs, as well as memorabilia of the Cerulean Gym. They did well because so any travellers came here to challenge the gym. The town flourished heavily with such tourism.

As Izzy stood in the row to purchase a ticket, the salesgirl recognised the badge on her hip and allowed the young nurse in without payment, with the promise of taking care of any Pokémon that might feel ill. There could never be too many nurses present, the girl told her, and free entry was the least they could do for security.

Feeling the responsibility weighing down on her shoulders, Izzy visited backstage before the show to check out the Pokémon that would be competing. There were many gorgeous Pokémon: Persian, Ninetales, Psyduck, Growlithe, among others. Near the entrance stood a very familiar Wartortle, who looked better than Izzy could remember.

"Hey there, Rosalind. Remember me? You traded your Dewgong for my Wartortle, last time I was in town!" Isabelle called out to the girl, who beamed a bright smile.

"Oh hello! Welcome! I am so happy you're here. Wartortle is amazing. She can sit still at a salon for hours! Longer than I can! Look at her tail. Isn't she gorgeous?"

The girl gushed for a bit longer as Isabelle took a look at her Wartortle. She indeed looked gorgeous. Her tail had been groomed to perfection and her shell has been polished till it shone. However, on her face was still that arrogant look. Isabelle never admitted how bad Wartortle had looked. The turtle barely looked at the young nurse, keeping her face in a light sneer of disdain.

"Well, good luck, Rosalind. I wish you all the best," Isabelle said before leaving the two to their preparations. There was a bit of unrest a bit further away. A Horsea hung limply in a handsome man's arms.

"Oh, thank goodness, a nurse! Please, miss, what is wrong with my Pokémon?" he asked urgently. Izzy gently took the Horsea over in her own hands. His skin was very dry and his muscles weak.

"How much exercise does your Horsea get?" Isabelle asked.

"An hour a day. We practice his attacks to get the act perfect!" He seemed proud of it.

"I meant physical exercise, not for your act. Do you let him swim?"

"Ehm. No, we usually don't have time for that."

Isabelle stroked Horsea's face gently. "Horsea remains a Pokémon and needs exercise, just like Growlithe needs to be walked every day. Take her to the Cerulean Gym. Maybe the Sensational Sisters will allow you to use their pool to let Horsea swim. His skin is much too dry, as well. I am not entirely sure, but you might not be able to join today." The man nodded his head solemnly and took his Pokémon back before leaving the room. "This goes for everyone here. Pokémon, however talented at Beauty Contests they are, still need their basic care. Don't just focus on their looks and act. Give them plenty exercise and food, too." Many people murmured and nodded. Some looked at their Pokémon guiltily. Isabelle had said all she needed to say and left to sit near the side-lines in the audience to watch the show.