#024 Arbok

Arbok, the Cobra Pokémon. The evolved form of Ekans. Arbok is capable of crushing opponents by coiling its body around them and squeeze them tightly. It can even flatten steel oil drums. If it encounters an enemy, it raises its head, mimics the opponent with the frightening pattern on its body and making eerie sounds by expelling air from its mouth. It has been stated that if any part of Arbok's body except for the head is cut off, it can regrow the rest of its body again in a matter of a few weeks. It also has the ability to detect vibrations. Arbok has been known to be capable of spending long periods underwater and surviving in aquatic environments.

Arbok is territorial. It lashes out at intruders with long fangs tipped with deadly venom. With a vengeful nature, it will not give up a chase once it targets its prey or an opponent, no matter how far. It makes its home in grassy savannas and plains. In the wild, it hunts smaller Pokémon, using the pattern on its hood to immobilize prey and using its toxic bite to finish them off and eat them.

The memory of that unfortunate first encounter with an Ekans came to haunt her whenever she dealt with a Poison-type. But, as many Nurses agreed, a Nurse's opinion of Pokémon could never prevent her from doing her duty. Whenever a Pokémon needed help, it must be given at all times.

Nurse Isabelle's faithfulness to this rule was tested when a trainer stopped her on the road. His Pokémon was injured and because there was no Pokémon centre around, he asked the Nurse that was travelling by herself. Her outfit gave her away as a Nurse, since we wore the trademark colour shirt and white pants, along with some comfy sneakers that looked to be fitting to the colour scheme.

"An injured Pokémon? Sure, I'll check it out. Just a cut, you said, on her tail?" Isabelle knelt down as she withdrew her pack from her back, to get some disinfectant and bandages.

"Yeah. Nothing much, but it's hurting her. Arbok, come on out!" Isabelle froze when the trainer called the massive Cobra Pokémon to come out. Of all Pokémon, it has to be a snake.

Arbok were huge. They were 3,5 meter long, making them over twice as long as she was high. Raising up her head, Isabelle looked anxiously at the snake, looming in front of her. She took a shaky breath.

"I need you to do something for me," she told the trainer. "Can you make sure your Arbok does not move? I'd prefer it if she faced away from me. I've had some bad experiences with snakes randomly attacking me," she trailed off. Even the memory made her shoulder ache.

"One bit you? Oh damn, I'm so sorry. I can promise you that my Arbok is exceptionally well raised. She won't harm you, I promise!" He sounded so concerned. "Arbok, can you do that for the kind Nurse? Look away and keep still. She can make the pain in your tail go away," he told his female snake, who obeyed him without question.

Sighing, Izzy cleaned her hands and knelt down near the tail, seeing the deep, red cut on the purple flesh. It was quite striking. For now, she merely inspected the wound, looking at it from all angles. It was slightly raised and a bit inflamed, but not infected. The fact Arbok was a Poison type surely helped with that.

"I'm going to clean the cut now. It may sting a little, but it'll prevent an infection, which can be avoided easily with some care. Please make sure Arbok doesn't move. Her tail is strong enough to knock me over and send me flying." The trainer repeated Izzy's command to the snake. It helped Izzy to talk to the trainer instead of the snake.

Spraying some Potion on the wound, Isabelle saw the redness already lessen a little. Then she asked to have the snake lift up this part of her tail just a little so the bandage can be wrapped around it.

Touching the Cobra Pokémon as little as possible, Isabelle expertly wrapped the wound with the bandage. This was easy. She practiced this: bandaging in the least painful way possible. There was a technique to prevent it sliding loose and in a manner worthy of a Nurse, she knew this. Her hands shook a little with her racing heart, but she still managed to bandage Arbok properly. Not her neatest job ever, but this would hold to let the snake heal.

When it was done, she let out a deep sigh, standing up and stepping back. She wiped her forehead, which felt clammy, and packed her bag again as the trainer received confirmation from Arbok the pain was less and the bandage was tight. By the time Izzy was ready to look at the trainer again, the snake was gone.

"There. All done. I'd prefer it if you didn't fight with her until she doesn't feel pain anymore. A confirmation from another Nurse that the cut is healed is most preferable, but you may not encounter any before it's healed. If the bandage does fall off before the wound is healed, head over to the Pokémon centre right away. Do not keep travelling without it. Pokémon welfare before badges, always. Okay?" The trainer said he understood her, thanked her greatly, and even gave her an antidote, as a wry and tiny bit inappropriate gift of thanks.

As she watched the trainer go on his way again, Isabelle congratulated herself for a job well done. This was what a Nurse was about.