#113 Chansey

Chansey, the Egg Pokémon. Chansey lays several nutritious eggs every day, which it carefully carries in its pouch. A kindhearted Pokémon, it will share these eggs with injured people and Pokémon. The eggs become more delicious if Chansey is raised with love and care.

Just because most Pokémon have a certain temper, doesn't mean all of them have. There are timid Charizard, docile Beedrill, and bold Caterpie. This is the story of a Chansey that is not as gentle as most of her kind.

Most of Nurse Isabelle's days were uneventful. She spent them working in whichever centre was nearest, to save up money to keep on travelling. The sun had already set and Izzy's eyelids were getting very heavy. No one was entering the lobby and no one needed her help. A little nap wouldn't hurt...

Isabelle's eyes shot open at the loudest screech she had ever heard. As she rushed to where the sound came from, she reflected on the fact she could not identify the screech. Could this be a new Pokémon?

The answer was: almost. In one of the treatment rooms, a Chansey was treating a grumpy Raticate. What exactly happened to it, Isabelle didn't know, but the rat obviously wasn't very interested in taking his medicine. Chansey, however, showed very un-Chansey behaviour; she grabbed the Raticate and Double Slapped it, before grabbing an egg from her pouch and smashing it against the rat's head with another of those angry screeches. The egg had been raw and smelled decidedly rotten.

A bit further ahead, some Joys had come to inspect the sound as well, shaking their heads in disapproval at the most unladylike behaviour they had ever seen in a Chansey. "I can't wait till she leaves," one nurse even said before leaving Izzy to it to clean the mess.

Despite this being a rather serious matter, Isabelle burst out laughing. The furious Chansey looked up in surprise and Raticate took the opportunity to hide under the bed, away from Chansey's wrath.

"Oh, that was great. You have a mighty temper, Chansey," Isabelle wiped her eyes, before grabbing a cloth and wiping off the Raticate. The rat bit down on her hand but Izzy did not care one bit; it kept him still. Giving the Raticate a potion, she and Chansey left the treatment room.

"Look, Chansey," Izzy said as she sat down on top of the counter, since no one was in the lobby anyway. "I know Raticate can be awfully aggravating, but to treat them this way is not allowed. We're nurses. We are supposed to heal them. It's fine if you get angry, but walk away. Never attack the client. There are many nurses here that can take over."

Chansey slumped on the ground, sighing sadly. "I'm aware the nurses here aren't happy with you," Isabelle continued. "so I'd like to make you an offer. I truly believe with experience you can control yourself better. You might be more suited for fighting, maybe even as a battle-field nurse. You can stand your ground," she smiled at her.

"I travel around the Kanto region. I help Pokémon on the road, who are in need. This is much more dangerous than Centre work. I need a Pokémon that can take care of herself. Will you join me?"

"Chansey!"